Main Menu

73 challenger tail panel letters

Started by fireguyfire, June 09, 2019, 11:17:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Getting down to some small easy projects on the car. A couple of the letters in Dodge on the rear tail panel of my 73 Chally have 1 of the 2 pins broken off, so the letters are a touch loose. I've had good luck in the past cutting machine bolts and JB welding them onto the back so I can run a nut and lock washer on them.
Looking at the letters, they are all chrome; I'm curious were they all chrome from the factory, or were the edges blacked out like on a lot of the "script" emblems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodj

The letters on my 73 are all chrome. Bright chrome on the sides and a brushed finish on the faces of the letters.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on June 10, 2019, 06:38:08 AM
The letters on my 73 are all chrome. Bright chrome on the sides and a brushed finish on the faces of the letters.
Lettering on my 74 are the same as dodj noted.
Did similar repair on a couple of mine that were broken as well. Instead of tempting fate trying to screw them back on. I have them held in place with short pieces of vacuum tubing. Install letter then push/stretch tube on post until snug. Not OEM obviously but have been there for 20 years.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Burdar

Both the hood DODGE letters and the tail panel letters are all chrome...no black paint on the edges.  The hood letters are held on with a nut that cuts into the "pins" of the letters.  The tail panel letters do NOT use nuts.  They use pink plastic clips that push over the "pins".  The clips are installed onto the "pins" first, then the letters are pushed into the tail panel.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=6002852S

YellowThumper

Quote from: Burdar on June 10, 2019, 09:52:36 AM
Both the hood DODGE letters and the tail panel letters are all chrome...no black paint on the edges.  The hood letters are held on with a nut that cuts into the "pins" of the letters.  The tail panel letters do NOT use nuts.  They use pink plastic clips that push over the "pins".  The clips are installed onto the "pins" first, then the letters are pushed into the tail panel.

LOL yes the correct way.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71383bee

Quote from: Burdar on June 10, 2019, 09:52:36 AM

Well that explains why the thread cutter nuts i bought don't fit well on mine.  Mine are "secured" by the old vacuum tube method noted above and are showing there age.  Just ordered 2 sets to get this resolved!  Thanks again Burdar!
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

fireguyfire

Does anyone know a source where I can buy rear tail panel letters for my 73 Challenger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lulurocks(Ken)

Burdar