Main Menu

73 challenger

Started by fireguyfire, March 05, 2019, 09:36:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Antique Automobile Radio in Florida makes a modern equivalent with auxiliary input and bluetooth.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

fireguyfire

Were these cars badged "challenger" anywhere else but on the front grille?
It's interesting to see how Mopars evolved from being covered in decals and badges to very little at the end of the era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Yes on the rear quarter panel
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

Thanks; we're the rear quarter panel badges mounted in holes, or were they peel and stick?

nsmall

this is just my opinion and you asked for opinions ...but is there any way you can just enjoy the car the way it is as it looks nice to me and then you don't have to be all stressed out about someone touching it.

If it does have major paint issues that can't be buffed out or corrected I understand wanting to tear it down.....but it's so expensive and then maybe you won't enjoy it as much as right now where if the car gets a door ding it's not the end of the world.

Welcome to the site and congratulations on the purchase.

Burdar

QuoteThanks; we're the rear quarter panel badges mounted in holes, or were they peel and stick?

They were adhesive backed and were centered over the side marker lights.

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on March 05, 2019, 11:54:39 AM
Your car would look great put back to original. :alan2cents: :drooling:
Never expected you to say that?  :pokeeye:

But  :iagree:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

YellowThumper

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Knowledge here is incredible.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

fireguyfire

Thanks; I will be asking lots of questions from you E body gurus!

71383bee

Welcome to the site!

Glad to see another 73 340 4 peed rallye on the board.  I agree that it would look awesome restored to original but enjoy what you have it does look like a decent starting point. 

To address your questions the front grille is black for rallye and the surround is body color.  Tailpanel is argent with black inlays around the lights.  The previous owner painted mine black too which i would not have preferred.  For the quarter emblems burdar is the man.  stick on over the character line above the lights. 

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

fireguyfire

Awesome info; thanks!
I have the flip gas cap on my car as well; were they optional in 73 or is that not period correct?

Burdar

Not available in 72-74.  Painted cap only.

7212Mopar

I have the flip out gas cap door on my 73 and remember seeing many 72-74 that has that. My 72 had a chrome twist out cap.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Burdar

Chrome caps were available over the counter.  The flip top cap was only available from the factory in 70 and 71.  They look really nice and are a popular upgrade after the fact.  72-74 only came with a body colored cap from the factory.

71383bee

Quote from: Burdar on March 07, 2019, 01:08:15 PM
Chrome caps were available over the counter.  The flip top cap was only available from the factory in 70 and 71.  They look really nice and are a popular upgrade after the fact.  72-74 only came with a body colored cap from the factory.

:iagree: Burdar is correct.  My car came with the factory painted cap.  The flip top is a newer part added by the previous owner.  Along with the T/A spoiler and front air spoiler.  To be correct i would have to remove all of that stuff...but i likely won't as i like the way it looks.  Some stuff I will take it back to but not everything! 

Do you know what gears your car has?  We also have the same 2 tone interior i see.  :ohyeah:
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top