Main Menu

AAA is it worthwhile?

Started by Katfish, February 07, 2018, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

We've had AAA Platinum Plus for over 35 years, yes there are times it doesn't get used for a few years but when it does it more than makes up for it....  A few years back we had 8 cars out on a cruise out Hwy 88.. Up near Kirkwood Ski Resort one of the cars had a valve train failure.... 140 miles from home.... We called AAA & went back to the little diner to wait, we had lunch & just as we were finishing up the tow truck arrived.... Loaded the car & dropped it back home... Total cost? We kicked the driver $20 & told him to buy himself lunch...  Driver said without AAA it was about a $500 tow.... Guess that pays for about 6 years worth of coverage.... Last year on the way to Spring Fling I had a failure of the fuel injection on my vert.... AAA to the rescue.. Only a 75 mile tow but still..

71-440

Have had AAA for about 8 years now. Used it twice for a tow. I have the 100 mile plan. To me it's worth the piece of mind.
And as mentioned above you get discounts on travel and other stuff.
Joe

cudajunction

I HAD (past tense) AAA since 1992 until about a year ago.  The little discounts on some hotels, the occasional road side service, it was worth it.  But the last 2 times I need road side assistance, they were worthless.  We were near Sacramento with a buddies trailer and had a blow out, but since we were towing a trailer, we were a commercial vehicle and they would not come out.  Fast forward 5 or so years... I was out in a small town in Oregon and my battery died.  At first, it was going to be an hour.  About 20 minutes into that hour, they called back and said it was going to be 2-3 hours before I would see a truck.

A sweet farm family stopped, jumped my car and I was on my way.  I told AAA to suck it and never looked back. 

BIGSHCLUNK

I've had AAA for way longer than I will admit too. That being said some years ago my Lincoln died in an intersection in Chicago on a Friday night. In a blizzard. Yes it was a BIG PITA... but they got my car back to Milwaukee. Plus being on the road allot .... just in case PINKY has an issue... worth every penny.... 

71GranCoupe

I have had it for years. Used a few times and the peace of mind is a factor.

An old saying, Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.   :cheers:

340challconvert

Bargain priced peace of mind.
Used towing services multiple times over the last 20 years. :perfect10:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

RusTy/SE

This month starts my 35th year (AAA+), always for tows with the farthest being 80 miles.  I just consider it inexpensive insurance.
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

Katfish

Quote from: RusTy/SE on February 10, 2018, 10:33:57 AM
This month starts my 35th year (AAA+), always for tows with the farthest being 80 miles.  I just consider it inexpensive insurance.

This is my issue with AAA, it's the exact opposite of cheap insurance.
Someone asked why have car or auto insurance, it's simple math.

I pay $1000 car insurance to protect myself against $100k liability, 1% cost premium.
I pay $1000 home insurance to protect $200k loss, 0.5% premium cost.
Why pay $100 to protect against a $500 dollar loss? 20% premium!

js27

Joined in 1973 when I bought my first car a 1967 GTX and have had it ever since. Don't use it every year but I look at at the same as I look at carry a concealed gun. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it !!
JS27

HP_Cuda

Well worth that peace of mind.

AAA has gotten me out of some tight jams.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200