Main Menu

A/C part differences big-block VS. small-block ID reference H51

Started by 6bblgt, March 01, 2020, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

all the A/C components were missing when I purchased my 1970 383 auto R/T

can anyone with correct known parts, post pics , part numbers, etc. for brackets, hoses, pulleys, other for the underhood A/C components

@Fastmark  &  @headejm yes, pictures of correct ID'd lines for any E-body application would help  :twothumbsup:

:thinking:
can I "assume" 318 & 340 are the same?
383 & 440 the same?
what about '70 VS. '71?
post '71 small blocks?

headejm

I'll get the individual parts out tomorrow to photograph. I completely restored my car but left off the AC knowing I can always add it back later. For now, here is an under hood photo showing the basic layout except for the temperature control valve that was removed and bypassed.

anlauto

I know for certain the compressor brackets are different from "B" block to "RB" block. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

Quote from: anlauto on March 02, 2020, 03:53:02 AM
I know for certain the compressor brackets are different from "B" block to "RB" block. :alan2cents:

That's partial correct. The front bracket for the compressor is the same. It's the back one that is longer on the 383. I have those pictures on my computer as well. The braces are different lengths too. Alt brackets and idler are same. I'll post pictures and part no as soon as I get back in town from grandpa duty😉.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

This is always a good 1970 440 reference picture too.. :takepicture:

1 Wild R/T

Gathering parts? Does that mean progress is being made?

And on a 383 theres a bracket behind the alternator that bolts to the head with two bolts that raises the hole the alternator bolt goes to....

On the hoses you posted the other day the third hose looks like a 70 E body hose to connect the receiver dryer to the expansion valve... Better pictures would help....  The 71 version of this hose has a different type of flex hose instead of rubber it's a type of nylon...

The hose from the compressor to the condenser is very similar from small block to big block, the metal portions are the same, the difference is the small block rubber hose section is a little longer...

The big block suction hose from the evaporator to the compressor is easily identified by the bends in the steel line near the compressor...

anlauto

...another tip.... A very convincing looking expansion valve is available from Rockauto for dirt cheap  :alan2cents:

EV2RTSE

Here's a picture of my crusty 383 with a/c when we pulled it. I just moved recently so all of my a/c hoses and stuff are still boxed up but will post some more pics from my computer.

Look in 71 B-Bodies for parts, they share a lot of the same stuff with the E's.

EV2RTSE

Original condenser -

EV2RTSE

This water valve is hard to beat for the price - same design but probably not 1000% correct with the numbers. Unless you're out to win OE Gold I would just pick one up and save a hundred bucks or so.

The bracket is wrong for an E but Bill Rolik and others have the right one for a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1975-76-Charger-Coronet-78-Charger-Magnum-A-C-Heater-Water-Control-Valve-AC/400288169747

EV2RTSE

The receiver / dryer bracket was used on several different models - this just came up on moparts the other day.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2746639/re-a-c-receiver-drier-bracket-interchange.html#Post2746639

The part number is 2219155 and that goes back to 1961. Here's a quick list of some applications
1970-1974-----all A & E bodies
1971-1974-----all B bodies
1962-1965-----all models
1966-1969-----all A bodies

EV2RTSE

This compressor and line came off of a 70 318 Challenger, in case it helps at all.

EV2RTSE

This is someone else's picture but a pretty good reference for a 1970. Small and big block use a lot of the same parts, except for the compressor to condenser, and compressor to firewall lines as already noted.

The metal water valve pictured is from a later year, it apparently changed in late '73. The red and black bakelite valves do tend to crack or leak very easily so from what I understand, a lot of people will run the metal valve on a car that is driven alot.

More on the water valve part #s-

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/1970-e-body-ac-water-valve/14961/msg199742#msg199742

anlauto

...and also this section of the metal pipe with the muffler is a lot shorter on a small block hose due to the location of the compressor   :bigthumb: