Main Menu

Another ? on body colored grills.

Started by bentpshrods, May 26, 2018, 05:04:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

I'm pretty sure my car should of came with a body colored grill originally. It has an argent grill in it now. When I stripped it for paint I found out that it must of been hit hard in the right front end.  The fender had been replaced and it had a blue passenger door. The corner of the cowl was punched in some with holes in it where they used a slide hammer to pull it out. I bought the car in 1977 so when ever it was wrecked there were still cudas available in the junk yards.  So I'm thinking this is where the argent grill came from. The lower valance insert was also missing.  Original or not I am going to paint it  purple to give it a different look.  My question is on the valance inserts.  Did the factory always paint them to match the body colored grills, or could they be mismatched /mixed.  I've seen them both ways. I have chrome bumpers so there is some contrast. The cars with elastomer bumpers sometimes has to much color for me. Kinda going back and forth whether to paint the insert or leave it argent.     :thinking:         

Cuda Cody

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/data-books-salesman-pocket-facts-color-upholstery-guides/1971-plymouth-data-book/barracuda/

9 different colored grilles for the 71 Cuda.

Here's a quote directly from "The Man" @6bblgt 
If a '71 'Cuda (BS) was originally painted: GW3, EV2, GB5, FJ6, GK6, FE5, GF7, GY3, or FC7 it was originally intended to have a painted grill STANDARD. There was no "way" to order/delete a painted grill.

Due to a shortage of painted grills on hand at the factory,
(during the winter, because a truck load of painted grills wrecked en route from Canada to Detroit)
"argent" grills were substituted as needed.

So, if your '71 'Cuda is: GW3, EV2, GB5, FJ6, GK6, FE5, GF7, GY3, or FC7 odds are it originally had a painted grill. Odds are higher early & late in the model year, with some "wiggle room" in the middle.

More stats from Dan the Man that might be easier to understand:

7-16-11 Grill
BS 1971 Painted FJ6 Avacado 3573 611 "sassy grass green"
BS 1971 Painted GY3 Citron Yella 3573 612 "curious yellow"
BS 1971 Painted FC7 Plum Met. 3573 613 "in-violet metallic"
BS 1971 Painted GW3 Bright White 3443 587 "sno-white"
BS 1971 Painted EV2 Tor Red 3443 589 "tor-red metallic"
BS 1971 Painted GB5 Bright Blue 3443 593 "true blue metallic"
BS 1971 Painted GF7 Med. Yellow Green Met. 3443 597 "Sherwood green metallic"
BS 1971 Painted GK6 Medium Bronze Met. 3443 599 "autumn bronze metallic"
BS 1971 Painted FE5 Red 3443 601 "rallye red"

Some 1972 Cuda info here:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/body-shop/5/1972-74-cuda-painted-grill/5328/

Click to enlarge photos

GY3R/T

Wish i was there to help pick up those grills after the accident.    :andyangel:
   Kinda like a Brinks truck losing it's load in today's age. :wowzers:

RUNCHARGER

I would purp both of them, otherwise the valance insert will stick out too much IMO.
Sheldon

Claudia

Quote from: bentpshrods on May 26, 2018, 05:04:55 PM
  I'm pretty sure my car should of came with a body colored grill originally. It has an argent grill in it now. When I stripped it for paint I found out that it must of been hit hard in the right front end.  The fender had been replaced and it had a blue passenger door. The corner of the cowl was punched in some with holes in it where they used a slide hammer to pull it out. I bought the car in 1977 so when ever it was wrecked there were still cudas available in the junk yards.  So I'm thinking this is where the argent grill came from. The lower valance insert was also missing.  Original or not I am going to paint it  purple to give it a different look.  My question is on the valance inserts.  Did the factory always paint them to match the body colored grills, or could they be mismatched /mixed.  I've seen them both ways. I have chrome bumpers so there is some contrast. The cars with elastomer bumpers sometimes has to much color for me. Kinda going back and forth whether to paint the insert or leave it argent.     :thinking:       

I am no expert but I believe that the front lower valance insert was supposed to be painted to match the grill.

However, correct or not . . . I painted my grill to match my body but I painted my front lower valance to match the silver in my grill.

IMO - It breaks up everything in the front from being all the same color but keeps it all tied together.

E74cuda

The lower valance insert should be the same color as the grill.

Burdar

Was the valance insert installed on the valance before paint or were they painted separately...then assembled? 

I assume they were painted separately and were shipped to the factory pre painted by the supplier...same as the grills themselves.  :dunno:

anlauto

Body colour on both, otherwise it's just wrong  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

82firebird

Quote from: anlauto on May 29, 2018, 09:54:42 AM
Body colour on both, otherwise it's just wrong  :alan2cents:

If this is wrong, then I don't want to be right.  :bravo:

I was told that my car was a victim of the "wrecked semi truck" story, but who knows for sure. Its always cool to hear stories like that.

GY3R/T

Quote from: E74cuda on May 29, 2018, 07:00:24 AM
The lower valance insert should be the same color as the grill.
:iagree:   Body color on valance Doesn't look right. Color washout.

FrankenCuda

My grille will be painted Curious Yellow sometime this month and I'd like to know what is the correct color to paint the insets.  Not the grille panels.  I get it that those have the silver fronts with the remainder as black.  I'm looking to know what that silver color is and should it be argent textured paint to be correct or is it a silver color? 
Anyone know if there is a trick to painting this area?
Silver first or color first?
Tom

anlauto

It's just a dull aluminum, not textured. I spray a flat surface and press the grill into the paint. You can also do the silver first, lay the part down silver first on a flat surface, hold in place and paint them black :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

FrankenCuda

Not that part.  Not the inserts.  I'm going to leave those completely black for contrast.
The inside area of the grille.
Looking at the In-Violet grille the silver looks smooth. Not textured argent.  Just trying to get close to the correct color of silver and if it's supposed to be smooth or not.
Tom

6PKRTSE

I like them either way. However,  it does depend on the color of the car. I would take one either way though.

anlauto

It's a smooth dull aluminum there as well. :slapme5: