Main Menu

Any issues with buying a used car in California and driving it home to Ohio

Started by GrandpaKevin, April 18, 2021, 07:35:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm interested in buying a mint Challenger Hellcat located in Sacramento Ca.

I'm thinking of driving it back home to Ohio.

I've never purchased a car in California.

Any California specific vehicle, title or sales tax laws I need to know about?

Do I leave the plates on the car or get a temp tag in Ca.

Are the title sign over with a notary in CA the same? I assume I pay Ohio sales tax when I get home and register the car in Ohio

Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

If you buy it in California & drive it home California will want sales tax... If you buy it in California and have it transported to Reno you pay the sales tax to Ohio...  Or at least that was California's crazy scheme a few years ago....

If your buying it from a private seller have him drive it to Reno... Or have him tell Ca DMV that he delivered it to Reno should anyone ask...  Just don't get puled over in California....
If your buying from a dealer have it delivered to Reno... They generally don't want to risk trouble so delivery is easy...

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 18, 2021, 07:47:11 PM
If you buy it in California & drive it home California will want sales tax... If you buy it in California and have it transported to Reno you pay the sales tax to Ohio...  Or at least that was California's crazy scheme a few years ago....

If your buying it from a private seller have him drive it to Reno... If your buying from a dealer have it delivered to Reno...

I'm buying off private owner in Sacramento, going to his credit union to pay off his loan any advice?

Thanks.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 18, 2021, 07:50:41 PM

If your buying it from a private seller have him drive it to Reno... If your buying from a dealer have it delivered to Reno...

I'm buying off private owner in Sacramento, going to his credit union to pay off his loan any advice?

Thanks.

Yeah, like I posted above..
If your buying it from a private seller have him drive it to Reno... Or have him tell Ca DMV & his credit union that he's delivering it to Reno should anyone ask...  Just don't get puled over in California....

1 Wild R/T

Better yet talk to his C/U first to get their input.... They are the ones who could/would screw it up..

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 18, 2021, 07:54:36 PM
Quote from: GrandpaKevin on April 18, 2021, 07:50:41 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, like I posted above..
If your buying it from a private seller have him drive it to Reno... Or have him tell Ca DMV & his credit union that he's delivering it to Reno should anyone ask...  Just don't get puled over in California....

I figured California would try to pull some tax BS like this. :verymad:

Do I need some type of documentation to prove I picked the car up in Reno or is our word good enough?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

Ask about a one way permit. I did this once to Nevada I just don't remember the process that well ans it was a new car from a dealership so I know it can be done on a new car but not sure on used however doesn't hurt to ask

You drive the car out of state and basically you can't stop anywhere unless it's to eat or get gas because the car wouldn't technically be registered so you can't be on the highway only to leave the state. I think it's called a one way permit ans they give you a dmv paper to carry with you for the ride.

This was like in 2008-09 and I remember them being stern warning me that I couldn't stop unless it's food or gas or I would get impounded and to display the DMV tag on the corner like a temp reg.

Mopsquad

Hope you got a great deal on your Hellcat!

I purchased mine from a dealer in Virginia, California dealers were much too pricey.

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Mopsquad on April 19, 2021, 11:22:37 AM
Hope you got a great deal on your Hellcat!

I purchased mine from a dealer in Virginia, California dealers were much too pricey.

Private seller.
I'm trying to avoid dealers and their BS

Car is for my wife and I to enjoy going to cruise ins and shows.
She is a die hard gear head and insisted on a manual transmission which are hard to find.
We have 3 colors on our list (B5, Tor Red and Plum Crazy) and wanted it well optioned including sunroof and under 15k miles
Must be accident free and no modifications

Most of the ones I've found are between $50K-$55k

The one I'm looking at is a 1 owner with factory extended warranty til 2023, meets all our requirement.
It's not advertised for sale and is priced well below what most are selling for.

It sucks it's on the west cost though

captcolour

Would be good to check with Ohio DMV too to see if they have any forms that the seller would need to sign and get notarized.  Find out if there are any specific requirements for the bill of sale.  When I bought Bob's 'cuda, we had to get the KY DMV form signed and notarized by him.  It took the place of a bill of sale.  I had the car shipped from California back to Kentucky.  Plates stayed with the car.