Main Menu

Anyone ever used the Dodge Service manual on CD?

Started by Cuda Cody, January 19, 2017, 08:20:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Has anyone bought and used one of these Dodge service manuals on the CD?  How does it work?  Is it a PDF that you can search or does it have chapters?   :notsure:

[ebay]230510570611[/ebay]

ec_co

they are simple scans in PDF format. I had to use Acrobat Pro version to do an OCR (optical character recognition) scrub on the entire file so that it would be 'searchable' (it literally took hours to process the file on a good PC). but I no longer have access to Pro, so I'm trying to figure out another method to modify the one I had sent you to remove that 'extra' info we don't want to see.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

cataclysm80

I use a parts book on CD.
It's great to have the info available cheaply, but it's not as easy to use as having a real book where you could just flip open to the right page.

71GranCoupe

I bought similar years ago. They were OK, but I am sure with faster CD/DVD players they are easier now. I still have them, but usually go to my hard copy. I have an old one, so if it gets another smudge, no biggee. I like the electronic versions as I can bring up a page in need and print it out in the shop. And when it gets dirty, I just print another if needed. Thinking of networking the shop TV to my computer, then I can just have the page open and it is no a 40" monitor. Easy on my old eyes. :cheers:

Brads70

I have the one in the auction. I like it because I can simply print off what I'm working on, make notes, get it dirty etc.... toss it out when I'm done then print off new ones when I need them again.

cataclysm80

Yes, printing pages is a great feature.
I've done that before.

ec_co

the one thing I found that sucks about these scanned versions is that they are lacking in fine detail on the drawings and pics, some are completely unusable. I'm guessing they were scanned in years ago at low resolution and have never been updated (who wants to rescan 1000+ pages?). but this is why I also have a hard copy (got a helluva deal on one a few months back for $35 on fleabay. they normally go for $60+ easily)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

70/6chall

Hi guys, old Al here! Call me old school, call me old fashioned how about archaic. All you young people with your CD-ROMS, and DVD's I still like a factory chassis manual thrown on a fender cover, page open to what reference I need.I have all of the necessary factory repair manuals required. I used to watch my mechanic father go to the book many times during the course of a repair job. Guess I'm no difference than he.       Thanks, Al