Main Menu

Anyone use 3M clear plastic tape on lower rear quarters?

Started by scf100, July 14, 2018, 04:01:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

scf100

Want to prevent rock chips and don't like the look of mud flaps

TIA
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

ec_co

my only concern would be sticky residue left over. I've used Plastidip clear - easy to spray on and peal off later. i usually recoat once or twice a year, takes 10min.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

scf100

:rubeyes:
Quote from: ec_co on July 14, 2018, 05:55:20 AM
my only concern would be sticky residue left over. I've used Plastidip clear - easy to spray on and peal off later. i usually recoat once or twice a year, takes 10min.

So how do you remove the plastidip? Heat gun?
Can you post a picture?

Racer57

Prep-Sol (available where they sell auto paint supplies)l will easily remove any residue without harm to paint. My Wife even has some of it in a small plastic spray container for grease on clothing before washing.

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for the Plasti Dip tip. That sounds like a great way to do it.
Sheldon

ec_co

Quote from: scf100 on July 14, 2018, 06:05:48 AM
:rubeyes:

So how do you remove the plastidip? Heat gun?
Can you post a picture?

it literally just peels off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNurBZVAbWI is a better visual for you

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

scf100

61K T/A

Is it true that if you leave it on for more than 6 months it becomes permanent?

ec_co

Quote from: 61K T/A on July 23, 2018, 03:39:33 PM
Is it true that if you leave it on for more than 6 months it becomes permanent?

never heard that one before. did some additional research on that aspect and can't find any references to it becoming permanent, only references to help it last longer before needing to be re-done.

https://garage.eastwood.com/tech-articles/plasti-dip-faqs-frequently-asked-questions-about-dipping-cars/