Main Menu

Auction result 6cyl '71 Hemi Cuda Convertible - $143,000 (before fees)

Started by Mopsquad, June 15, 2021, 02:28:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

This auction was of particular interest to me as I have a pro built '70 Barracuda convertible Hemi clone, also a 6 cyl car.  I know '71's will bring more money.  Is this where these cars are money wise now?  This seems like a leap from what I've seen a few years back when I purchased mine.  Also, the winning bid was from a dealer.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1971-plymouth-cuda

anlauto

I hate to say it, but that might be the going rate on those cars right now.....It was all the craze a while back to build these and they were fetching $250K+ but the bottom has fallen out a bit, obviously. I think whoever got this car got a pretty darn good deal though. :rubeyes:

I have a potential customer wanting me to build him the almost identical car to this except red/white....It will be hard for me to build it for less then what that sold for... :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda_mark

I don't remember cuda convertible Hemi clones ever getting near 250K USD. I don't follow it that closely but I always thought they topped out at around $110K.

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of the work too. I know on mine, the bodywork, paint and details are all extremely good. (Alan can attest to Mike Labrecque's work). It's like any other resto...some are crap and some are perfect. I used original or NOS parts wherever possible. I think it also helps if you have an original vs crate HEMI.

anlauto

Okay...maybe not $250K, but still...they have dropped off a bit... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopsquad

The PO of my car spent $185K on the build in 2008 when the Hemi clone market was trying to find itself.  Of course it did drop quite a bit when I purchased in 2016.  I was a bit surprised on the aforementioned sale, but I guess that's what it is right now.