Main Menu

Australian Right Hand Drive Dodge Challenger?

Started by Smallblock340, August 10, 2020, 07:48:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Smallblock340

I recently saw some pictures and video of a Right Hand Drive, 1972 Dodge Challenger. The car was for sale in Queensland, Australia, a few years ago.
Any idea whether RHD conversions were performed at the Hamtramck Assembly Plant?

Awesome Challenger w/426 Hemi. E-bodies Member Car?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iY0hL4gTc8
Maurice

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye E55 727A in Bright Blue Metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBG3SAJE_NQ

Challenger in NC

I've dont think I've see a RHD mopar before. Everything on the dash appears flipped as you would think, except for the VIN tag.

1 Wild R/T

They were converted in Australia... I had a friend that was exporting E bodies down under back in the 80's & 90's, lotta cool cars got shipped out of the country back then... 

To import cars to Australia that are less than a certain age (I think it's was 25 years) they needed to be converted to be licensed for use....

The conversions were done at the port before the car officially entered the country..

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Converted in Australia , I have seen a few of these converted .

Priesty

Have seen several down here over the years. This is only the 2nd one I have seen that also has the console setup for RHD. Surely that must be a factory RHD unit, the other one I looked at closely in person & it did not appear to be modified in any way. Were there any RHD drive markets for these cars in the 70's ? I know there were quite a lot of RHD Dodge Phoenixes sold here back in that period.
:australia:
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

YellowThumper

Have seen several pictured previously. This is the first one where the center console was also altered. Wish that it was shown better. I assume all or partial was just turned 180deg.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dylo

My RHD '70 vert work in progress.

Regulations in the past meant all LHD cars needed to be converted to RHD if you want full registration. These rules have relaxed now so most are left as LHD.

I would love to know how these consoles were mirrored or where they came from?

BIGSHCLUNK

Educate me. how did they do the steering? W that HEMI there's no room on the right ....

318Stroker

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 21, 2020, 07:32:48 AM
Educate me. how did they do the steering? W that HEMI there's no room on the right ....

I'd also like to know how they did the dashpad and console.

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

YellowThumper

Quote from: dylo on August 20, 2020, 10:37:53 PM
My RHD '70 vert work in progress.

Regulations in the past meant all LHD cars needed to be converted to RHD if you want full registration. These rules have relaxed now so most are left as LHD.

I would love to know how these consoles were mirrored or where they came from?

Very cool.
Please start a build thread on here for yours if you have not already.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dylo

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 21, 2020, 07:32:48 AM

With a big block they probably used a rack and pinion steering setup. Another method involves a chain drive under the dash in which the RHD steering wheel drives the original steering box in its original place.

Mine is a small block and has a got all Aussie Valiant steering components. These  just fit with a small clearance with the exhaust manifold. My brake booster and blower motor just swapped sides and holes and then you just need to make a new hole for the steering column.

cudamadd

Dylo a chap by the name of traver edger in south port Queensland has been doing R/H conversions for many many years .And beautiful R/H consoles they are awsome . Look like they are factory. I will try and find his number . Back in the day they would use a 1964 R/H dodge streeing drag link which is the same as the U.S left hand drive Plymouth fury drag link use the same streeing coloum with Aussie brake pedals and most of the a valiant 1970 - 75 dash but the dash pad would fix but the top of the dash was very square looking and was not that nice but then but would work. With the valiant streeing box bolted to the railing it took some work . As you said a lot of guys used the R/H rack and pinion . And with the E-Brake most used a pull up hand brake out of the floor next to the drivers seat . I do know of three factory ebodies a 6-bbl cuda and two 440 challengers with the valiant dash that were done back in the 80s and the owners donot want to convted them back because it is to much work .What a shame I say but it is what it is . Now that we can drive these cars LHD no one does it any more . P.s under the car and the streeing was the. easy part ,The dash frame and pad was a different story.  :australia:

dylo

Thanks for the info Cudamadd, always appreciate your knowledge!  :australia:

HP4406

This is my first post.  I was wondering where username DYLO got his right hand conversion dash pad from in Australia.  As I am about to convert my 71 Challenger and that dash pad looking at the photo is the best I have seen.
If DYLO could reply that would be great.