Main Menu

Best driving route from Sacramento California to Ohio

Started by GrandpaKevin, April 24, 2021, 07:48:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Planning to buy a car in Sacramento CA. and driving it back to Ohio in the next month.

I've never driven across the country from the west coast and I'm looking for the best route/highway to take.

I would like to avoid bad weather especially cold and snow at all cost.

Staying away from major city traffic would also be nice.

I hear I-80 and I-70 are the best options but in looking at them it appears they go some snow and mountains.

It's also appears I-80 is closed in Wyoming? Is that possible?

I'm sure a bunch of people here have driven cross country many times and know the best highways, short cuts, places to stop, etc.

Thanks for any info and advice.

captcolour

Looks like you would have well over $1,000 in expenses to drive it 2,500-ish miles plus your time and putting miles on the vehicle.  Have you looked into having it shipped?  Don't know what rates would be today, but another $1,000 to ship would be worth it in my opinion.  If you haven't seen the car yet, you could fly out and back the same day to avoid hotel costs to see the car, pay for it, and then have it shipped.

When I bought Bob's 'cuda in the Bay area, that's what I did.  Bob's a great guy and even picked me up at the airport and dropped me back off after spending the day with the 'cuda.  Did take him and his friend for dinner for the trouble.

When I actually bought the car, wife and I flew out for a mini-vacation.  Arranged to have the car transport pick the car up on a Monday.  Paid Bob and did paperwork, then watched the car get loaded on the carrier on his end.  We spent a few days at Fisherman's wharf and flew home on Saturday.  Car arrived at my house in Kentucky on Sunday.

Scooter

I've driven from the SF Bay Area to KC & St Louis a few times. Most of the route is the same. Take 80 across Nevada, upper Utah and into Wyoming. When I hit Cheyenne I drop down on 25 to Denver then pick up I70 the rest of the way. You could stay on 80 most of the way into Illinois but it takes you pretty far North. Most of the drive outside of Denver and all of Kansas is boring with nothing but flatland to look at.. like driving across Texas. No way to get around traffic when you hit major cities if it's commute hours. I've made it to St. Louis in 32 hours driving solo. If you are in no rush you could probably do it comfortably in a 3~4 days.

GL

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: captcolour on April 24, 2021, 09:03:00 AM
Looks like you would have well over $1,000 in expenses to drive it 2,500-ish miles plus your time and putting miles on the vehicle.  Have you looked into having it shipped?  Don't know what rates would be today, but another $1,000 to ship would be worth it in my opinion.  If you haven't seen the car yet, you could fly out and back the same day to avoid hotel costs to see the car, pay for it, and then have it shipped.

When I bought Bob's 'cuda in the Bay area, that's what I did.  Bob's a great guy and even picked me up at the airport and dropped me back off after spending the day with the 'cuda.  Did take him and his friend for dinner for the trouble.

When I actually bought the car, wife and I flew out for a mini-vacation.  Arranged to have the car transport pick the car up on a Monday.  Paid Bob and did paperwork, then watched the car get loaded on the carrier on his end.  We spent a few days at Fisherman's wharf and flew home on Saturday.  Car arrived at my house in Kentucky on Sunday.

I got a quote for a single enclosed trailer haul and it was $3500, I would have paid $2500 or so but for $3500 I'll drive it home.
I don't want it hauled on an open trailer or multi-vehicle trailer.
If anyone knows of a reputable shipper with a single enclosed let me know....

RUNCHARGER

I'd drive it even if it cost more than shipping it. Great way to spend a few days.
Sheldon

MRM82

Just my 2 cents from when I drove from Las Vegas to Pittsburgh. We did I 15 into Utah, picking up 70. Stayed the night in Rifle CO so we could drive over the Rockies with the morning temps. Granted I was pulling a trailer but if we woulda waited a couple more hours the temps woulda killed us, so keep that in the back of your head. Driving over Loveland pass was incredible along with seeing the change from desert to woods again. Then yea it was extremely boring from Kansas to eastern Ohio along I70.

7E-Bodies

If you do drive it, I hope you'll do a photo documentary in a thread here. Sounds like a fun adventure providing no pitfalls or thefts on overnight stays.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming.

I'm struggling with this trip. 

My options.... :thinking:

A. Even if I hire a shipper I still would want to fly out, look at the car in person, pay for it and get the title in hand.

B. Fly out, check it out and drive it home trying to avoid bad weather. Miles and wear and tear on the car and leaving it in hotel parking lots overnite

C. Final option would be to dust off my old enclosed trailer and make sure it's road trip ready.
Drive out, pick it and drive home.
I wouldn't have to concern myself as much with weather or road conditions
That would be 2 trips (out and back) with twice the travel time, added miles on my truck and fuel costs.

JonH

Soooo...you have a trailer...Do you have the time? Doesn't seem like a big deal if you are retired and have the time. Go get it yourself...by the way, what are you buying?

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: JonH on April 24, 2021, 04:07:16 PM
Soooo...you have a trailer...Do you have the time? Doesn't seem like a big deal if you are retired and have the time. Go get it yourself...by the way, what are you buying?

I have a 25 year old 22' Haulmark enclosed trailer.
Hasn't been on the road in about 5 years and has never been towed more than 12 hours.
Still in pretty good shape but I would need to go through it and inspect the tires, brakes and repack the wheel bearings.

I also have a 2016 Ram 2500 diesel that should tow it pretty good.

I'm semi retired working 2 1/2 days a week but could take a week off pretty easily.

The car is a Challenger Hellcat

I am getting older and I've never driven cross country like that but I think it would be doable if I took my time.... :thinking:

tparker

ummmm...  I'm here in Sacramento and I'd do a Kowalski and deliver the car :D

Seriously though. I can't speak for most of 80 but it often closes between Sacramento and Reno in the winter. There may be a little bit of snow in the hills but the highway is open and unless there is a freak storm it shouldn't snow much past this point. I think it actually snowed today.

RzeroB

I've driven that route a couple of times myself. Here is my personal recommendation ... avoid I-70 through Kansas from the Colorado border to Topeka! That stretch of road is (to me) the most monotonous drive in the United States! For miles on end, the road goes straight with both lanes of the highway converging into a single point on the horizon. Farm fields on the left ... and farm fields on the right. Every 15-20 miles or so you will think there's an exit coming up ... only to be disappointed to find out that it is just a "farm machinery overpass" that allows the tractors to get from one side of the highway to the other. It's a dangerous road because the monotony of it will put you into a coma! Do yourself a favor and take I-80 through Nebraska instead.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RzeroB on April 24, 2021, 11:04:41 PM
I've driven that route a couple of times myself. Here is my personal recommendation ... avoid I-70 through Kansas from the Colorado border to Topeka! That stretch of road is (to me) the most monotonous drive in the United States! For miles on end, the road goes straight with both lanes of the highway converging into a single point on the horizon. Farm fields on the left ... and farm fields on the right. Every 15-20 miles or so you will think there's an exit coming up ... only to be disappointed to find out that it is just a "farm machinery overpass" that allows the tractors to get from one side of the highway to the other. It's a dangerous road because the monotony of it will put you into a coma! Do yourself a favor and take I-80 through Nebraska instead.

:rofl: :rofl: Truth!!!

70 Top Banana

I have driven out west and back several times. I grew up in California and between family, business and friends have spent a lot of time since my family moved several years ago.  I think it depends on how much time you have (retired?) will the car make it and whether or not you want to drive it.

If it were me, I would hook the trailer and head west taking the northern route. Pick up the car and take 99 south out of Sacramento to Barstow. Take 40 east. I would take my time and stop when I wanted. It is a long way to go but if you have time and not done that it will be a great trip. Flagstaff has the Grand Canyon. There is the  painted desert, Route 66 jaunts, Tucumcari New Mexico still has a lot of old 66 haunts. A lot of the US to see