Main Menu

Best driving route from Sacramento California to Ohio

Started by GrandpaKevin, April 24, 2021, 07:48:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

I grew up in northeast Ohio, decades ago Mom moved to San Diego and Dad moved to Las Vegas & I've driven these routes many times old cars/trucks to OHIO and/or a number of moving trips west - looks like there will be ~300 miles more if you take the southern route - I moved out here in mid-April & took the southern route to miss the weather, is weather still an issue considering you are now talking mid-May?  Did northern route twice in October, not sure I'd do that again.  All I recall is more tolls on the southern route.  I'm sure you could schedule some stops along the way to break up any monotony.   I may be taking this trek for CARLISLE!

5,000 miles in a truck w/trailer VS. 2,500 miles in a HELLCAT ....  :thinking: .... HELLCAT  :banana: 

1 Wild R/T

Leave the trailer home... It's a drivers car, drive it!!! :alan2cents:

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: JonH on April 24, 2021, 12:21:38 PM
@Bills Auto Works....member here

Thank you Jon!

Unfortunately I have no spots open for anymore west coast runs at this time. My last two trips have been 6800 mile & 8500 mile laps of the country & when I first read this was somewhere up in Washington State.

I never actually counted, but I am sure I have made runs to the west coast & back more than 75 times over the last couple of decades or so. Before that I stayed east of Denver.

Weather is basically not a concern anymore. My policy has always been that I do not cross the Rocky Mountain Passes (except Flagstaff) between Oct 30th & April 1st. Anytime after that the snow usually does not stay around very long because of the ground temps being high enough to melt it. I delivered north of Seattle, reloaded in Spokane & had some heavy snow (in the air) going across a pass on I-90 in Montana, but it didn't stick to the ground  Wyoming had snow on I-80 Elk Mountain (about 4 inches April 20th I believe) two days before I crossed it coming from South Carolina, but it was gone by the time I got there.

As far as routes, 80 is obviously the shortest, I actually prefer 70 which is just slightly longer, less than 100 miles to my place if you use the 287 cut off coming out of FT Collins going up to 80. If you go down to Bakersfield & Barstow it is longer by a couple of hundred miles, but I switch up the trip by taking us 54 out of Tucumcari all the way to Wichita sometimes. It is kind of a nice ride & if you like to stop, there are a few things to see.

If you are the type of person that falls asleep easily if the scenery is boring PLEASE us a transporter or plan on a 4 day trip back to Ohio!!! Not saying that because I want your business, because I don't have a spot for it, but that scares me almost as much as some young bimbo texting & swerving from lane to lane on the highway!

Road trips are GREAT & if you chose to do it....have fun & enjoy it!!!!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!