Main Menu

Best way to mask headlight openings when painting headlight buckets

Started by 70RTSE383, October 16, 2018, 02:52:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

How do you mask the headlight opening in the headloght surrounds? Does someone make a mask for this? I cant imagine using tape for this.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Brads70

I taped mine. At the local body shop supply they sell 1/8" tape (and up) . This makes it much easier to tape off.

GoodysGotaCuda

I would use plastic tape, it will work well on those curves then fill in the rest with standard blue tape.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rich G.

Cup of coffee , roll of good tape and some good background music and tape away. Well that's what I had to do anyway.

70RTSE383

My concern in not down inside the ring around the light, thats easy. The thing is the transition from flat face 90 degrees into the ring around the opening. There is a little border that should be masked. When I looked at a NOS piece in the photo here I noticed that the factory really didn't seem to worry about that very much. Maybe I am over analyzing this. The original ones on the car (black) seemed very well masked but I removed the paint during repair of them.
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

GY3R/T

Stuff a nerf football in the holes and spray away.  Once Paint is dry, take a paper towel, get part of it wet with Acetone and wipe to get the proper reveal/edge around the opening.     :bigthumb:
   Painted edge never had a defined edge.

Topcat

Doing Grille parts are a PITA.

Re did my 71' grille was a ton of time.

I'm sure nothing compared to restoring a Sharktooth grille.

JS29

3M fine line tape, green 3m tape also molds around corners well.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

70RTSE383

Ok doesn't seem like a big deal after all. A lot like my unused se fear finish panel. The top paint border doesnt even look like it was masked at all. Thanks for all your help
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

RUNCHARGER

It's pretty easy to keep your quality better than OEM quality.
Sheldon