Main Menu

Broken slapstick

Started by Beetle, November 14, 2018, 08:26:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Beetle

Does anyone know if there's a aftermarket slapstick made of metal or something that won't break so easy. I broken a couple over the years and they are nearly 100 bucks to replace. I might wrap this one and melt it if it holds.
Sure be nice if someone made reproduction ,billet door handles or a unbreakable nylon or metal slap sticks for E body's. 😎

Chryco Psycho

I assume you mean the plastic Tee handle which was a poor design from the beginning , of course if you shift it instead of hitting it they do last a long time ,
Auto Grip makes the best billet pistol grip replacement handle I have found , they look great & Are far stronger  :alan2cents:

Beetle

Thank you for the info I didn't even know auto grip existed. I really like the action and feel and look of the original slapstick they just break way too easily (and I don't slap it) the original ratchets nicely and won't go from 1st gear into third or accidentally go into neteral or reverse . One made from nylon or metal would out last me. 😉( And be worth paying for if it was made in USA)

Chryco Psycho

I believe Steve is a member here & he makes a beautiful pistol; grip handle that fits the slapstick shifter without modification & will not break .
His site is on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/autogripshifter
Worth every penny , I have installed a number of these in people cars

Claudia

While it may not be for everyone . . . I like it!  :banana:

anlauto

Somebody needs to make the "T" handle out of solid aluminum or a solid piece of plastic.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

What I really like about the Auto Grip is that the stick is not straight up but leans forward like the 4 spd pistol & it is more comfortable when it is pulled back into 1st gear

Brads70

I love my autogrip shifter handle! Nice part, well built and designed.

IRON MAN

^^^^^I purchased the Auto-Grip pistol grip shifter from QUAPMAN for the same reasons. I have very long hands and the original "T" handle shifter is too small for my hand.

gzig5

Quote from: anlauto on November 16, 2018, 06:44:05 AM
Somebody needs to make the "T" handle out of solid aluminum or a solid piece of plastic.

I'm looking into what it would take to do them out of aluminum but don't hold your breath.  So far I haven't figured out how to do the whole thing on my manual machines, but I'm not done yet.  I have a friend with a CNC mill that may be able to handle the complicated parts.  Definitely won't have anything until next year to look at but if I can do it I'll let everyone know.

Beetle

Thanks for the all the help I do like how the pistol grip looks. very nice workmanship. I might have to get one after looking closer.