Main Menu

Bumper Hitch

Started by 71vert340, August 11, 2020, 01:42:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

In 2003 when my son and I started work on his 71 Challenger, we pulled off the bumper hitch that someone had made for the car. I now regret throwing it away. If I had it now, I would have it chromed and put it back on the car. Anyway, today I went over to my in-laws house to look at my next project when I finish the 74 Charger Rallye in my shop now. Look what I found.. I had completely forgot my other 74 Charger has a hitch. What is the opinion here? I know it's not an e-body but should I put this hitch back on when I redo the car?
Terry

Daveh

You should do what you like it's your car.  I personally wouldn't put it on.  I like the clean look and that hitch just muddles up the back even if you chrome it.  Just my 2 cents. 

RUNCHARGER

I couldn't drill the holes in a new bumper. If I had a classic boat to pull though it would be hard to not keep the hitch.
Sheldon

MOPAR MITCH

I bought a 73 Rallye 340/4spd Challenger from an original owner.. it had that same class-2 factory hitch... as he towed a small fishing boat in the summer...  and I use to flat tow my T/A behind it across the country to SCCA Solo II autocross events... I got a ton of reactions on the highways... pictures being taken, for sale??? questions... etc.  When I sold the 73... the person took it off the car and sold that hitch.

There are other choices of bumper hitches... can be custom-made at a local hitch shop... and better hidden under the car (I'm  actually considering that for my T/A)... a simple class-2 ... just to tow a small tire trailer behind the car for weekend racing.