Main Menu

Bumpers

Started by leglhi, June 18, 2018, 10:35:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

leglhi

First off,talked to Dave at Roseville today and what a awesome guy.Thank all of you who recommended him.Very patient,knowledgeable and got back to me very quickly.Im ordering everything through him and think I'm also going to throw new bumpers in on the deal.We discussed price and he had a very valid point on the cost of a rechrome job vs what i was hoping to pay.It looks like i can save quite a bit by purchasing new bumpers through him.My factory bumpers themselves are in decent shape,maybe a little twist on the front,but the chrome is hazy and scratched and definitely should be redone going on fresh body and paint.So most everybody happy with the LKQ bumpers?Just thought id ask before grabbing them.My Cuda is a 70 and is just going to be a very nice driver/weekend cruiser.It wont see a show even though ive had some comments that it may be nice enough for our local ones.I just cant see spending $800 to have mine rechromed locally to maybe still have issues.Thanks for any opinions.
If it ain't broke,fix it till it is

Chryco Psycho

Dave is awesome to work with on parts , I have not ordered bumpers through him though .

Cuda Cody

I've gotten bumpers from Dave and I'm happy with them.   :twothumbsup:

leglhi

Thanks Cody,im sure i will be also then.Seems like he's pretty particular,i like that  :)

kathyscuda

what about tricity plating ?

anlauto

I've used lots of bumpers from Roseville  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

It just isn't cost effective to get bumpers rechromed and factory bumpers never fit all that great truth be told.
Sheldon

leglhi

Yeah i hear that.I was going to polish my trim myself before installing it,then realized i barely have time to bolt the car together let alone polish the trim lol.So i went to a local polisher who actually does amazing work and he told me he also does chroming.He does the prep work himself and then sends it off to the valley where they do the actual plating.Had some Cheby bumpers he just got back that looked amazing.So ive been on the fence.May wait for a bit since im not to that stage just yet and then figure it out.

nsmall

Very happy with my Tricity Platting bumpers.  I thought the prices were very fair considering they are OEM

dodj

I got my bumpers from Dave. Extremely happy with the service and price.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

leglhi

I'm leaning more towards the repops every day.Like the response posted above earlier,even the oem bumpers never fit perfect so i guess it all comes down to the plating job.From what I'm hearing Dave's vendor has nice chrome.Every time I've had chroming done myself locally it's been a hit or miss proposition.I've had some nice suspension pieces done over the years,and then had it start peeling out of nowhere..Luck of the draw.

rhamson

I saw two different brand bumpers at Carlisle two years ago that were night and day in quality. I think the lesser ones were sold through AMD and they looked nice but I could see scratches and lines that just weren't happening for me. The other ones were made by Keystone and were amazing. I also found out they sell like hotcakes and don't remain in stock very long when they get them.

leglhi

That's what Dave was saying he sold,the Keystone brand.I believe that they are now LKQ.......at least that's what I read.Supposedly a real nice piece  :bigthumb:

chargerdon

About 7 or 8 years ago, i bought a re-chromed bumper from TriCity plating, at the Carlisle mopar week.   Back then i payed $325 for the front bumper and i am very happy with it.   In fact i don't think anyone is making new ones for the 66-67 Chargers.   

Now I have a 74 Challenger that both the front and rear bumpers are in "good" structural shape but the chrome was pitted, dull, and very thin..   So, I called TriCity to find out what the price for exchange would be.   Holy Batman...its now $475 for either bumper...price of chroming has gone up.   The good news is that New bumpers are available at way lower prices.   

So, after shopping around, i bought a new front bumper from Rock Auto for only $184 plus about $20 shipping.   I would have bought the rear bumper as well, but, it was shown as "on back order".    The brand from Rock Auto was Goodmark, it came in well protected for shipping and fit quite well and looks great!   The rear bumper for a 74 is a lot harder to come by, altho i now saw one on Ebay by AMD, for i think $229 including shipping.   Ill probably buy it as thats half the price or rechroming.   Oh and Rock Auto doesn't even list bumpers now for the 73 and 74 Challengers...   

anlauto

Quote from: chargerdon on June 20, 2018, 04:09:11 PM

Now I have a 74 Challenger that both the front and rear bumpers are in "good" structural shape but the chrome was pitted, dull, and very thin..   So, I called TriCity to find out what the price for exchange would be.   Holy Batman...its now $475 for either bumper...price of chroming has gone up.   The good news is that New bumpers are available at way lower prices.   

:haha: Try getting one done in Canada...they're quoting about $800-$900 each now...maybe more, that was a couple of years ago..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration