Main Menu

California restricting classic cars

Started by tman, October 26, 2023, 01:37:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tman

You know how this goes.  It always starts in CA then everyone else follows like WA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7ykSfY-t8

Katfish

Yep, everyone should be alarmed at this

dodj

It seems I need to be alarmed about all my hobbies.....muscle cars, handguns, hunting, voice my opinion........Every few days I see another article or proposed law that wants to restrict or take my stuff. :pullinghair:

It's relentless..
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

Our club used to have someone that was keeping tabs on various legislative groups and it seems like we are a prime target of them. Apparently not enough people get involve. Anyways, I haven't heard a lot going on lately but I'll bring it up at our next meeting. I am almost ready to get my car registered and driving... Just when Gas prices are sky high, the world is going electric, and there is talk of areas outlawing classic or even gas powered vehicles. hmmmm.

On the brighter side of stupid California governance, Sacramento just lifted the crusing ban put in place 30-40 years ago. LOL. go figure.

HP2

The SEMA Action Network tracks all the legislative issues targeting automotive hobbies. They have a coalition of different legislators that are members and are usually willing to help notify impacted areas as well as occasionally rewrite bills that have an impact on auto enthusiasts. Definitely worth browsing their site any time some one proposes something ridiculous.

https://www.semasan.com/

YellowThumper

Quote from: tparker on October 26, 2023, 10:28:29 PM
Our club used to have someone that was keeping tabs on various legislative groups and it seems like we are a prime target of them. Apparently not enough people get involve. Anyways, I haven't heard a lot going on lately but I'll bring it up at our next meeting. I am almost ready to get my car registered and driving... Just when Gas prices are sky high, the world is going electric, and there is talk of areas outlawing classic or even gas powered vehicles. hmmmm.

On the brighter side of stupid California governance, Sacramento just lifted the crusing ban put in place 30-40 years ago. LOL. go figure.

Pandering....
At same time (last May) they passed legislation to ban chemical used in chroming.
Cruising is OK as long as it remains a rusted hulk eyesore.
Federal government still utilizes chrome process. California stated this will force Federal government to change also...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70vert

Alarming for sure, but no one should be surprised!! California has been pretty clear on their direction even if not on how they plan to get there.

The saddest part to me are all the other "me too" states that have given up all local control and just said we will do whatever CA does. SMH  :(

Gross Polluter

From what I remember, that might have been a result of the lowrider "community" playing the you-know-what card to pressure the Legislature to stop criminalizing their culture. Or something like that...  Whatever it takes I guess. 
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: 70vert on October 30, 2023, 04:05:27 PM
Alarming for sure, but no one should be surprised!! California has been pretty clear on their direction even if not on how they plan to get there.

The saddest part to me are all the other "me too" states that have given up all local control and just said we will do whatever CA does. SMH  :(

Amen to that - no idea how to get there, and every other state falls in line like lemmings......
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

7212Mopar

They are targeting something that will hardly make any difference to pollution improvement. Based on the number of classic cars you see on the road and the price on gas, I would say hardly anyone drives their classic car on a daily basis. Likely not driven even every weekends or goes long distance regularly. May be converting our classic cars to EVs is the only option remaining if you want to keep them.  :('
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

YellowThumper

Quote from: Gross Polluter on October 31, 2023, 12:18:21 AM

From what I remember, that might have been a result of the lowrider "community" playing the you-know-what card to pressure the Legislature to stop criminalizing their culture. Or something like that...  Whatever it takes I guess.

You are correct, it was a lobbying effort with the R "card" on full display.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.