Main Menu

Challenger Steering Column Lockout Bearings

Started by moreparts, October 21, 2020, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moreparts

So I've done an in car replacement of the coupling bearing and a clean up of my steering wheel bearing in my 1970 Challenger console auto. I noticed the middle lockout tube bearing has a little play in it. Is a little normal or acceptable?  I would imagine no play is how it started off.

I've seen these sold by a few vendors. Has anyone had any luck with these? Since the job is in a tight spot, the part is expensive, and I'm afraid if I remove the original I may not be able to get this one positioned correctly to lock without loosing it. Is it possible to push the bearing too far up the shaft? Does anyone have any experience with these? https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=102-C29S

Here's a better picture.

Cuda Cody

You're talking about the bearing that is about an inch from the bottom of the steering column tube?  I'm curious how much you is a "little play"?  Are we talking an 1/8" play or more?  If it's just a tiny bit like 1/64" it should not be a big deal.  Does the lockout tube work and function?  Meaning, do you need to have the key in and in park for everything to work?

Can you take a video of the play so we can see what a little play is?

If you want to replace the lower tube bearing, that split bearing is the only option without having to remove a lot of stuff. 

If I recall, I think it was @Topcat  that used a ball bearing for the lower lockout tube bearing?  That would make it about as smooth and could be.

Cuda Cody

Yes, I'm thinking you could push that bearing up to far.  I don't think there's anything to stop it from going up further.

anlauto

I'd be curious as to "how much play" we're talking about as well....I've never seen them "wear out" that much. Usually they are hard to remove from the shaft when you want to get them off. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

moreparts

Hello guys.  Thanks for the replies! 

Yes, it's far less than 1/8th.  I'd put it between 1/64th and 1/32nd.  Lockout works fine.

anlauto

I would just leave it. If down the road you considered a complete restoration of the column, then replace it then with the correct one piece design.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Topcat

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 21, 2020, 02:33:02 PM
You're talking about the bearing that is about an inch from the bottom of the steering column tube?  I'm curious how much you is a "little play"?  Are we talking an 1/8" play or more?  If it's just a tiny bit like 1/64" it should not be a big deal.  Does the lockout tube work and function?  Meaning, do you need to have the key in and in park for everything to work?

If you want to replace the lower tube bearing, that split bearing is the only option without having to remove a lot of stuff. 

If I recall, I think it was @Topcat  that used a ball bearing for the lower lockout tube bearing?  That would make it about as smooth and could be.

:bigthumb:

SER205-16, ER205-16, ER-16 1" Bore Insert Bearing with Snap Ring 1"x52mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SER205-16-ER205-16-ER-16-1-Bore-Insert-Bearing-with-Snap-Ring-1-x52mm/121710889905?hash=item1c5688cbb1:g:RdQAAOSwX6VTxpiM

Topcat

You must remove the T at the end.
Then slowly tap the bearing up with wood.
Use Locktite on the Allen lock screws

Sand the heck out of lower column prior to installing bearing.

Be careful steering length doesn't break the crash pin off and change length.

Cuda Cody

Ya, I would leave it as is and keep driving it.

moreparts