Main Menu

Cheap made or technology of the day ?

Started by Racer57, April 19, 2019, 02:25:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Seems like the more I tinker with my Cuda, the more I think it was cheap made or maybe its just a matter or being use to todays vehicles. Were our cars up to the technology they had at that time, or were they just cheap quality even for then ?

Cuda Cody

It's been a long time since they made these cars and while budgets were always a concern, the technology back then was a long ways from where we are today.

torredcuda

I don`t think build quality/consistency was great even for the times (compared to European vehicles and Japan was improving their quality at a fast rate) but I think parts themselves were built better back then than now, just technology is so much better today in regards to plastics, castings, electronics etc.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Bullitt-

I'd say wait 40 + years n see how these newer vehicles are holding up.......  :Stirring:

Anyway I had a 73 240Z... total crap... the one area it was superior was the suspension. 

Compared to my 98 GT the ole Dodge has held up much better ... The GTs sub systems are superior but much more complex with few failures..

Anything newer I can't say as they are much newer so havent had the time to prove themselves.....
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

torredcuda

Way more things to go wrong with newer vehicles, computers eventually die out and then good luck getting anything to work.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Rich G.

How many newer Ram pickups have you seen with the beds rotted to death! Quality hasn't gotten much better. Scary

screamindriver

I guess the 70s cars do seem archaic compared to modern iron...Trying to put it more in perspective..I've restored numerous 50s vehicles and the fit/finish was even worse than the 70s vehicles..But with our cars soon hitting the 50 year mark you'd hope the manufacturer would have certainly learned how to not only build a better quality vehicle but {electronics aside} build a car that can be taken apart easier and quicker for repairs..

Rich G.

When the engineers have to start repairing what they design then you'll see how easy it will be to work on them!

71-440

50 years ago compared to today's technology, no comparison. Today they are designed on computers, parts built on modern machinery and put together with the help of robots.

I think they did a pretty good job back then with what they had to work with.   :alan2cents:
Joe

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Rich G. on April 19, 2019, 07:26:47 PM
When the engineers have to start repairing what they design then you'll see how easy it will be to work on them!

It should be a prerequisite....   
Years back I had the misfortune of working on a Sebring Convertible....  I'm sure the ABS pump/valve body was easy to bolt onto the engine cradle before the engine was bolted to the cradle & the body was lower over the cradle.....
But trying to work on the ABS pump/valve body in the car was virtually impossible....   
Just because your cad program showed it could fit there doesn't make putting it there a good idea..... 

Beginning in 2003 I started working closely with a engineer, after having cussed so many engineers in my lifetime I expected it to be a struggle but as it turned out he was one of the rare breed of engineers who actually work on the stuff they design & therefore his designs took serviceably into consideration....  Techs love working on his equipment....
Like I said in the beginning it should be a prerequisite...

Cuda70-74

These cars weren't built to still be driving around 50 plus years. Once u taken apart a good amount u will be surprised on how well those crappy welds helded up. I say they were built well for what they had at that time.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Chryco Psycho

Chrysler spent more on engineering than any of the North American cars in the day & they did a pretty good job considering , things such as Carbon Fiber , Powered metal , computer chips etc did not exist yet , new cars are generally made well too & last longer than the older cars do but also have a lot more electronics & potential for more problems .

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 19, 2019, 10:31:58 PM
Chrysler spent more on engineering than any of the North American cars in the day & they did a pretty good job considering , things such as Carbon Fiber , Powered metal , computer chips etc did not exist yet , new cars are generally made well too & last longer than the older cars do but also have a lot more electronics & potential for more problems .
Decades from now can you imagine someone saying they found a 2018 Hellcat thats been sitting in a barn for 30+ years and their going to restore it ? With all of the wiring harness/electronics/computers I would think it would be next to impossible.

Chryco Psycho

Well the original wiring probably would not be cut into to add a better stereo etc at least but trying to restore a new chall if mice chewed the wiring  :Thud:

RUNCHARGER

There are a few things on the E-bodes especially which proved to be problems. Their new door panels were not a success for one. However the engineering in the drivetrain and suspension were as good as it got at the time for the prices they sold at and actually were much better than almost any car at much higher prices as well.
My Dad ran his big Chryslers for 400-500 miles at a time at speeds over 100MPH and enjoyed pretty good handling in the curves and just basic maintenance, plugs, points, oil changes etc. He would not have been able to do that with a Jaguar, Mercedes Benz etc. especially on Canadian roads at the time without major maintenance and repairs. He loved the Chryslers for handling and ride compared to the boat float American competition of the day.
GTO's came out with 9 inch brakes when they were introduced. The 1964 426S Belvederes and Dodges had 11 inch brakes and a front sway bar included (although no pretty badges on the side of the car).
No one knew or cared about cupholders, man step tailgates and a telphone screen in the dash 50 years ago. A few cars had radial tires however they did not really become known about until the early 70's.
For me the idea of enjoying these cars is to take your mindset back to when they were new.
Sheldon