Main Menu

Cheapest Hemi engine

Started by CudaMoparRay, July 09, 2017, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

CudaMoparRay

First off, YES, Yes, yes, I know there is no such thing as a cheap hemi engine but with that being said:
What is the cheapest of the expensive Hemi engine options to install in an ebody?
In other words if someone wanted the prestige that a hemi engine brings to the table without regards to horsepower or just putting fake stickers and emblems on, what would be the best path forward? A jeep hemi? A first gen hemi? 2nd gen or 3rd gen?

Katfish

Interesting question, I'm guessing a Gen3 Hemi is the best price you can get.
That's my long term goal and I'm thinking it's a ~$15k job.
Best part about the Gen3 is you can drive it cross country, try that with a Gen2.

Chryco Psycho

I would expect the Gen 3 Hemi but it has the least wow factor , you will need a lot of parts & will run into 10 k maybe , less if you can find a good used engine , but you will still need headers , mounts , oil filter adapter , wiring & computer on & on ...
You can read #303 Mopars thread on installing his 6.4
Gen 2 you will have 5k into the heads & rockers alone
Gen 1 forget it , great engines but too wide for an E body IMO

ec_co

on the cheap - no stiffening, don't mind pounding out the firewall a little, junkyard Gen3 Hemi and aftermarket EFI/control @ 10-12k, upgrade tranny ...... add a lot more depending on auto/manual. @303 Mopar  might be able to give you a rough on the full Gen3 392 crate + 5 spd cost. more reliable too
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Cuda Cody

A date code correct original 426 Hemi would be hard to build for under $20k if you had to buy the block.  If it's a fun build, I think there is a lot of upside to doing a resto-mod modern Hemi.  :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

My 392 Hemi swap for all brand new parts not including the trans was $13k.  I've since swapped my 727 for a Passon 4 spd OD so tack on another $7k.

The cheapest route is to find a used 5.7 Hemi from a yard, total cost would be half of what I paid.

RUNCHARGER

You said cheapest so I say first gen. I've seen a few swapped into E and B (and actually A!) bodies over the years. Buy-in is cheap but you need to build all the fittings to make it work. Not something I would do however.
Yes the Gen 2 is the most expensive but it's also the one that looks "right" and it also will retain that buy-in cost the best as well.
If I want a Gen 3 I'll just buy the new style Challenger to go with it and turn the A/C on as I go on a cruise. I know why guys swap them but it just isn't my thing.
Sheldon

Marc70challenger

I was just at the shop Friday and they're doing a warranty on a Charger.   The insurance company sent a junkyard motor with. 100k miles on it - $6900. That was just motor.

Topcat

How correct would you make one is another factor.

Going cheap, put a hydraulic cam, single 4 barrel, cheap headers, and low cost internals. $20K+

Or go.."I want it just like it was then" and pay close to $30K and it's stroked with:

Forged pistons, Manley valves, Brodix guides, pocket ported heads, Johnson EDM lifters, factory carbs Scott re built, OEM radiator, Federal steering pump with track pack cooler....the list goes on.

There's how you get to $30K really quickly.

When I built this, it seemed like a tunnel that would never end.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Topcat on July 09, 2017, 08:54:12 PM

And that is just the build cost.  Then you have the tuning and parts for this Hemi is not cheap.  Yes they are the best looking, most correct, most coveted engine but you  better have deep pockets if you go this direction.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Marc70challenger on July 09, 2017, 07:47:07 PM
I was just at the shop Friday and they're doing a warranty on a Charger.   The insurance company sent a junkyard motor with. 100k miles on it - $6900. That was just motor.

That's a $1500 engine at best in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

rocketresto

Just picked up a runner 5.7 Hemi for $300 out of a truck - deals can be had.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

dougdel

Nothing is cheap in the mopar world  :rofl:

CudaMoparRay

Going cheap, put a hydraulic cam, single 4 barrel, cheap headers, and low cost internals. $20K+

Or go.."I want it just like it was then" and pay close to $30K and it's stroked with:

Forged pistons, Manley valves, Brodix guides, pocket ported heads, Johnson EDM lifters, factory carbs Scott re built, OEM radiator, Federal steering pump with track pack cooler....the list goes on.

Beautiful Hemi!!!!
Is it possible to buy the 3rd gen and make it look like a 2nd?
Also, I now have an A518 auto trans would that just mount directly to it?

303 Mopar

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on July 10, 2017, 12:47:16 PM

Beautiful Hemi!!!!
Is it possible to buy the 3rd gen and make it look like a 2nd?
Also, I now have an A518 auto trans would that just mount directly to it?

Leave off the coil covers and it is closer but will not fool anyone.