Main Menu

Crap aftermarket parts!

Started by torredcuda, May 29, 2024, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I'd go for the NOS fender, buy once cry once....

70_440-6Cuda

My experience with AMD was OK, not great but not entirely horrible.  Bought 2 front fenders for my '70 'Cuda to replace the fiberglass front clip.  Left fender fitment was pretty solid, right side had the captured nuts for the header panel partially covered by the sheet metal folded over from the top of the fender.  Not the biggest deal to fix by carefully trimming, assuming the nuts are located properly.  The bigger issue I had is the metal is very thin in my opinion - leaning over the fender to mount the hood put very slight pressure dents in the fenders.  I pulled the AMD fenders and boxed them back up and hunted down a set of originals.  I lucked out finding a pair of very rust free originals and just the weight difference is noticeable.  I could tell the original fenders were much more rigid just when handling them to move from one place to another.

I have managed to hunt down all original sheet metal with the exception of a rear valence with exhaust cut outs, but how bad can the AMD fit?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

CudaA39

I bought two AMD fenders for my Barracuda and would have paid double without hesitation for food originals.  Fit like crap, didn't match the curve of the doors, didn't match the front nose radius, needed twice the spacers to get close to the hood arch.  Plus they were thin so welding the seams was a nightmare.  But what options do you really have anymore.
Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

RzeroB

Yeah, it pains me every time I go the auto parts store and see "made in China" on almost every part they sell. It still boggles my mind that it's cheaper to ship this junk halfway around the world, then it is to make it here.  :bricks:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Gross Polluter

Quote from: RzeroB on September 12, 2024, 08:56:36 PMYeah, it pains me every time I go the auto parts store and see "made in China" on almost every part they sell. It still boggles my mind that it's cheaper to ship this junk halfway around the world, then it is to make it here.  :bricks:

It's hard for us to compete anymore when China has no environmental regulation, cheap energy, and slave labor. 
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

cuda hunter

Slave labor can not be beat. 
Not even automation can beat the cost of slave labor. 

Yet, we go ahead and buy slave products and claim to be a moral people who abolished slavery. 

When I got to the parts store I specifically ask for multiples of what I am after and always buy the mexican or canadian products when available.  I prefer not to support china.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee