Main Menu

Cuda decklid opening

Started by mopargem, November 06, 2017, 06:57:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopargem

There's some discussion about this on the Facebook page but no real explanation. Later cuda decklids seem to have a large punched opening on the left side only. I have noticed this on my 74 for many years and actually thought someone started the process of cutting it out to mount a wing but changed their mind and never did the other side. Now I see there are others like this. My theory is ease of assembly line wiring for the trunk light. Does anyone know the purpose and can we narrow down what years or dates this started. Is it also on Challengers? Sry if this is a repost but I didn't see this subject being discussed.

Squire Edgar

'73 Challenger Rallye. No hole.

Cuda Cody

I bet you are right.  They must have figured it could save a bit of time having an access hole there for the trunk light.  Was the trunk light always an option or did it ever become a Standard feature in the later year models?   :notsure:

larry4406

my 72 cuda has a trunk light with the mercury switch.  Can't remember if my 71 barracuda does

Jay Bee

Quote from: mopargem on November 06, 2017, 06:57:00 PM
My theory is ease of assembly line wiring for the trunk light.

I've looked into this out of curiosity and all my research and people I've talked to came up with exactly what you thought. It was merely put there to help with routing the trunk light wire.

Squire Edgar

Kinda wonder why my Challenger didn't have that cut out as it also had the light package.  :dunno:

IRON MAN

My 1973 Challenger has code L25 (Trunk Comp Light). Last weekend took this picture because I made the cut outs for a duct-tail T/A spoiler. You can see the factory cutout for the trunk compartment light...the wire I pushed inside the lid.