Main Menu

`cuda fire update

Started by torredcuda, August 04, 2018, 04:13:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

In the middle of buying/selling and moving into a new house I finally got another appraiser over to look at the cuda and get another estimate. This guy was much better than the first one and even had a pen and paper to write stuff down on! I`ll spare you guys the details but he still missed a short list of parts and the hourly rate was too low but I was able to send that info to the adjuster and he had it added on. Final total for this second estimate came in just over  $4600.  I am happy with that and can finally start buying parts and tearing the car down but obviously NOT happy with the whole process thru Hagerty    :thumbdown: , not sure if it was just a fluke thing as most people seem to be happy with them? I may look at another insurance company soon - any suggestions?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Jay Bee

Happy to hear you finally got some satisfaction. Hope it turns out to be enough and you're not out any personal cash. All the best in a smooth house move too.

torredcuda

Thanks, I`ll be doing all the work myself so it`ll be more than enough. The house move was 4 days or non-stop work right to the last minute but we got it done somehow and now just need to get the rest of the stuff from storage up here and settled in and of course set up the new garage/shop.

Chryco Psycho

Great to hear things are moving in the right direction including moving into a new house !
I don't have a suggestion for an better insurer unfortunately

RUNCHARGER

In the end you got what you wanted and were happy. It's when you have to fight like a rabid dog and still don't get what you want that I would consider a different insurer. In the end they came through, it could have ended much worse.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

I've gotten a quote from Hagerty for all my old cars and they have always been much higher then what I can find elsewhere.  State Farm has special insurance for collector cars that are not daily drivers and the price is super affordable. 

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 04, 2018, 10:53:36 AM
I've gotten a quote from Hagerty for all my old cars and they have always been much higher then what I can find elsewhere.  State Farm has special insurance for collector cars that are not daily drivers and the price is super affordable.
So is American Family. The only thing is they want an appraisal first. I pay less for NIKKI than my daily driver....

blown motor

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 04, 2018, 12:31:32 PM
So is American Family. The only thing is they want an appraisal first. I pay less for NIKKI than my daily driver....

And so you should. You only drive it every two or three years!  :pokeeye:   :rofl:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

GoodysGotaCuda

I've had to use my Hagerty insurance and they took care of it well. Appraiser was competent and they cut me a check quickly.

Even at 30 I am getting a bit taken to town on the cost of the insurance, but I do feel confident with them. I tried to go through Grundy, they had explicit terms in their contract that the car would never be taken to work, but yet on the phone they said it on rare occasion.

I wasn't comfortable with their wording and went back to Hagerty. They at least give some flexibility for enjoying the car like I built it for.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jimynick

Glad to hear you're moving ahead with your loss. I can't speak to American laws, but in Ontario, Canada, it's illegal to make a profit on your loss and people doing their own work were subject to a 20% deduction as that was the agreed profit percentage that a shop would look to make, and if a shop wasn't used, the cheque would reflect the "take the money and run" aspect. That they're giving you the whole enchilada is a gift and above average claims service, so you may not want to kick them to the curb as a reward. Having said that, it's your car and your call. Good luck with the repairs.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ledphoot

I hope this works out well and you can make you car as good or better than before. Good luck with the new adventure :)

torredcuda

The silver lining in all this is the car needed a freshening anyway as 20+ years of driving hard/racing have resulted in lot`s of rock chips, scratches, dings etc. so it will emerge even better than before. I have State Farm for my house and daily drivers so may look into them for the cuda also.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on August 04, 2018, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on August 04, 2018, 12:31:32 PM

And so you should. You only drive it every two or three years!  :pokeeye:   :rofl:

I shoulda saw that coming........  :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

usraptor

You might try American Collectors insurance.  I haven't had to make a claim with them but their rates are very reaspnable. All they asked me for was a picture of the car when I first insured it and when I recently got it on the road and added collision coverage they based the evaluation on NADA which I thought was more than fare.

JS29

Quote from: jimynick on August 04, 2018, 07:53:17 PM
Glad to hear you're moving ahead with your loss. I can't speak to American laws, but in Ontario, Canada, it's illegal to make a profit on your loss and people doing their own work were subject to a 20% deduction as that was the agreed profit percentage that a shop would look to make, and if a shop wasn't used, the cheque would reflect the "take the money and run" aspect. That they're giving you the whole enchilada is a gift and above average claims service, so you may not want to kick them to the curb as a reward. Having said that, it's your car and your call. Good luck with the repairs.  :cheers:
:iagree: Same hear in  :unitedstates:  I own A body shop and got the same story, but I had them make the check made out to the shop and ran it through the business!