Main Menu

Cuda Ralley Hood scoops open them or not???

Started by LinceCuda, January 21, 2018, 03:31:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

LinceCuda

My friend wants to cut open his scoops on his 74 Cuda, my question to him was why he said for ram air. I said with the location of the scoops and their low profile air flow will go right over the top and not in them. I mentioned to him  if you look at Ronnie Sox and the scoop he designed for his Cuda he had the air slot up high about 8 or 9 inches I believe it was. The modern Pro Stock cars up until they switched to FI had them level with the roof to grab air. Back in the day the only ram air hood that would work were cars that had the scoop down near the header panel 70 AAR, 70-72 W-30 Cutlass, 71-72 GTO, 70-74 Firebird Formula, and 68 Ford Fairlane 427, all the others were just for show. I told him the only positive would be the cut outs would let the heat out, and if you decide to do it anyway to buy some after market inserts to cut and keep your original scoops intact. That the way I see it what do y'all think?

RUNCHARGER

Yep: Waste of time in my opinion and it will let water into the engine compartment in rain or when washing the car.
Sheldon

YYZ

Also bear in mind that on a 'Cuda, you have to cut the hood as well as the scoop insert.  A Challenger you just remove the plates.

Putting in a ram-air duct from somewhere lower on the car would be more effective.

anlauto

I always thought it would be cool to open up the scoops leaving two vertical stripes where the grill screws go......then on the grills, carefully grind away at the backside until they completely open up leaving two mounting stripes of course....

Be a real cool custom touch that most people wouldn't notice......

BUT....I'm in agreement with the above posters....not much benefit except getting water on your engine all the time and having to cut the hood....

P.S. .....Don't tell the new owner, but if you remove the hood insulation pad on this Cuda, you'll find two large gaping holes in the hood :stop: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

If it is sealed to the air induction of the motor, some form of ram air.
But if they are not sealed to the engine induction, your engine will not cool as well. Ducting air behind the radiator, air will not be drawn 'through' the radiator as well. Reducing cooling capacity.
So...do not open them up.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

71340RT

My 74 challenger was opened up when I bought it and what a mess it makes when it rains. I have blocked them off and I think it even runs cooler on the temp gauge. I would never do this but it was already done when I bought the Challenger.
1971 Challenger RT 340 auto 1 of 731
1973 Challenger Rallye 392 Hemi A41 4 speed automatic
2016 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392 Hemi auto

LinceCuda

New facts I wasn't aware of and first hand knowledge that I'll pass on, thanks for the input.  :)

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: dodj on January 21, 2018, 06:04:50 PM
If it is sealed to the air induction of the motor, some form of ram air.
But if they are not sealed to the engine induction, your engine will not cool as well. Ducting air behind the radiator, air will not be drawn 'through' the radiator as well. Reducing cooling capacity.
So...do not open them up.

Mine were already done when I bought the car also. Nice neat job.
Thought they were pretty cool but now will have to think about leaving them or sealing them up again.
Maybe even install some flaps to open and close them remotely like the shaker scoops???

anlauto

Hey...that's sorta like what I was talking about....cool :ohyeah:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73_Cuda_4_Me

You would probably get better engine compartment airflow by removing the UCA inspection/adjustment covers fore/aft of the UCA mounts... More airflow through radiator, less heat into the vents and along tunnel and floorboard...  :alan2cents:

I read an article a LONG time ago that someone had written up about using colored water drops to check airflow along the hood to find out where the optimum 'scoop' location would be, based on where the drops were forced along the sheet metal... more travel of the drops indicated higher airflow pattern/best location... some cars work better with reverse scoops at base of windshield, due to the turbulence as front end pushed air up over hood and met lower windshield area...

No clue on whether the rallye scoops are in the optimum location for it, though... may be worth exploring, if you don't mind possible wet conditions from opening them up...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

72 Challenger

Had a 74 Challenger with the hood scoops block off's on the car when I bought it. They were painted red on a purple car and it drove me insane because it looked like hell. I removed them for looks. Zero power gains zero reduction in temps.

If you wash your car carefully (like spraying the water from the windshield towards the front of the car) you can minimise the water in the engine bay, the few drops that got in where easily wiped away with a towel. I never drove the car in the rain. 
Someday I will have a J0b.

Spikedog08

I vote for don't do it . . . I think I read somewhere that it does not help the engine breathe.   :thumbdown:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

303 Mopar

Both the Cuda and Challenger bulge hood scoops are too small and too far back to make any difference in air flow.  The only thing it may do is allow some heat to escape while you are sitting still.  I once saw some painted red that looked good and was different.

usraptor

JS29