Main Menu

Date codes needed

Started by 72 Challenger, August 22, 2019, 07:34:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Everyone!

I am back from my summer adventures in Vegas and the Arctic and it's time to get back to detailing my new to me Duster.

I am looking at date codes but don't understand how to make them. I am looking for the correct codes for :

Differential: September 19 1969
Axle Tube: October 14 1969

If it helps any one the SPD on my car is Mid November. I am just looking to recreate something that is in the realm of possibility. The dates were long gone during the restoration and I love adding these tiny details to my cars. Let's be upfront I am not faking anything, just going for looks, on my own personal ride, which I have no intention of selling. 

Thanks!
Someday I will have a J0b.

1 Wild R/T

Add away, anyone who knows how they were assembled is gonna know your chosen dates don't fit the "realm of possibilities" very well.... 

Third member is built & installed in a axle housing at the same facility so it wouldn't sit around for a month....
Most are dated within a few days, sometimes the same day....

Cuda Cody

They might have looked like this...

72 Challenger

I am not to married to those dates, I just want to add something realistic to the car. So feel free to sugest anything that you think is more correct. 

it's worth saying that I am not trying to open up the can of worms of which dates is the most correct. This isn't the one off car that deserves having that debate, just close, quasi realistic.

@Cuda Cody I have saved a bunch of your photos you have given for reference over the past few months, once I knew I was buying this car. I think the issue is that I have no idea what the letters and number combo mean.

In your picture you have what looks like L1-22 on the carrier and 2 - 25X on the axle tube, is there some facy chart that explains the numbers? or is thisaxle from a car with an SPD in November?

Cuda Cody

1-22 is Jan 22nd 1970
2-25 is Feb 25th 1970.

Those are from a Challenger T/A with a SPD of 3-17-1970.

72 Challenger

Sorry I made a type in my last post. I had said is there something that explains the numbers but what I meant to say is "was there something that explains the letters". What does L and X stand for?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 22, 2019, 07:41:33 AM

So you have an axle with over a month between the pumpkin being built & the axle being assembled?  Are you sure the third member hasn't been swapped?  I'm by no means overly knowledgeable about these but I've done a few & never seen a speed of more than a few days...

72 Challenger

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 22, 2019, 06:50:34 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 22, 2019, 07:41:33 AM

So you have an axle with over a month between the pumpkin being built & the axle being assembled?  Are you sure the third member hasn't been swapped?  I'm by no means overly knowledgeable about these but I've done a few & never seen a speed of more than a few days...

There was a discussion about this before and I believe the consensus was that it's not unheard of but not super common.

anyone have any insight on those letters?