Main Menu

Deal that got away

Started by Chryco Psycho, August 10, 2017, 09:03:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I found a 69 Daytona at a local automotive flea market up here in the late 80's early 90's for 10k  It was all apart and in boxes but looked all there?
Then there was this 71 Javelin......... :headbang:

61K T/A

I still to this day regret not buying the 69 GT 500 KR dual quad 4 speed for the asking price of 10k. Original owner, green with black interior. If I wasn't getting married at the time it would have been mine. Did I make the right decision?

The good news is I'm still married to the same girl and the T/A.

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I just remembered another one. It was about 1976 I believe. A 69 Daytona showed up in a used car dealers showroom. It was modified with non original paint and a six pack on the 440. Asking price was $7500 which was about what I paid for my 76 pickup at the time. I opened the glovebox and there were about 3 receipts for towing inside. So I figured between the high price and poor reliability I would pass.
Sheldon

bpsmopar

It was 1977. A Hemi Daytona, black on black with less than 7000 miles. A guy I worked with owned it sitting covered in his carport with a wild purple paint scheme. Told me I could have it for $20,000.
May as well have been $200,000. back then.
I saw it at the Red Deer Mopar show a week ago. Returned to black & still under 7000 miles..... :headbang:

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Quote from: RzeroB on August 11, 2017, 09:19:09 AM
Found her in California in the mid '80's ... was a '64 model ... flawless Tunisian-Tan body with a silky Lemon-Twist top ... oh she was absolutely gorgeous!  :inlove:  As good as she looked she required a lot of expensive maintenance ... I just couldn't afford to keep her ... so I reluctantly let her go.  :bye:

You aren't talking about a car are you?    :Thud:

maxy426

Hey... that is one of my old cars!!

7E-Bodies

I bought this for $200, yes 200, in the mid 80s. Everything there but the engine and trans. No pics of fender tag or build sheet and these are some of the only pics I have. Being naïve, I started an ad to part it out. When a guy came to buy the Hemi brake booster, he gave me $300. He later called and bought the whole thing from me. Yeah, it got away alright.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

ragtopdodge

If it wasn't for that dang tax bill, I'd still have that '71 383/auto/pw/ac cuda convertible that I sold a few years ago.

:'(

E74cuda

This 71 cuda convertible around 1998

Shoooter

I'm alittle younger than most on here so I haven't missed on the the big dog cars like you have but I remember I childhood friend that would be kicking himself now.

Back in the mid 90s , 1995 I belive my friends stepdad offered to build a father son project. He had a few cars and owned a body shop. It was a black 1970 AAR cuda. I remember this thing sitting in the back yard and I kept telling him to build it but never wanted to. I wanted that car so bad and eventually lost track of it. His dad let me have a summer job kicking around the shop and helping with stuff that obviously didnt matter much. I think he was trying to get his son intrested in the hobby. I've tried to look up and find the dash to see if he still has anything but I cant seem to track him down

7E-Bodies

Wow. The coveted 71 Convertible.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: The one's that got away from me that I am trying to round up today are: Drum roll!!!!

1. 1970 B5 Charger 500 recent arrival at salvage yard in NJ; was working restoring a 1969 Charger at the time and didn't have the extra cash.

2. 1957 Chevy Belair at a used car lot also recently brought in as a consignment because guy was getting married and needed cash for the honeymoon, no rust solid car even underneath  400ci 4spd. $4,500.

3. 1970 Black AAR in salvage yard 1986 still had the JOB tag on. :Thud:

chargerdon

Back in 1989 i had a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z Five speed manual in silver and black.  Very cool car.  However, the car was not reliable and wife was always after me to sell it.   With only 2.2 liters off the line it was kinda slow until about 2300 rpm and the turbo would kick in..whoosh and extra 50% horsepower and in first gear floored, it would exhibit a good deal of torque steer.  I knew about the torque steer and was always ready to back off in first to control it...  it was especially bad if the front wheels were turned when the turbo kicked in.   

Well the wife drove it one day to the local grocery store, which had a parking lot on a fairly steep hill, and to go home you had to pull out of the steep parking lot with a right hand turn onto the road..with heavy traffic.  She had never experienced the torque steer, and with the wheels turned to the right gave it plenty of gas, slipping the clutch to get that relatively heavy car to pull out quickly into traffic.   Half way out the magic 2300 rpm occurred and with the pedal floored, the torque steer ripped the steering wheel out of her hands, car shot across the road and she barely got it stopped before hitting a telephone pole.   LOL...  Well when she got home, i got my ear chewed out but good, and i made the decision to sell it.   DAMN...loved that little 4cyl turbo hot rod...  but...  Wish i still had it to this day.   You cant even find them now !   

7E-Bodies

Yep, this one got away in 82. 

YellowThumper

Almost rust free Challenger convertible. California roller noengine trans or interior for 3,500.00. Did still have its top.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.