Main Menu

Detailing 440 six pack carbs question??

Started by 750-h2, November 12, 2018, 05:03:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am in the process of detailing the carbs on my 1970 440 six pack auto. I have the following carbs which I believe are correct.
Front List 4382, center List 4376, rear list 4383. I have the ECS stickers and now want to get some stamps made to ink the numbers on the carbs as shown in picture.  From my research I do not think these numbers match the list #'s or factory part #'s. Can anyone tell me what my inked #'s should be and their meaning. Might be obvious but I am not seeing it. :clueless:  Thanks!

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

Most ink stamps on Holley Carbs are inspection marks. Some are list #, some are date codes.
   No real order on what stamps are on Holley carbs of that era and location of the stamps.

ScottSmith_Harms

I have been accumulating ink stamp data for a number of years now. There are constants, and variables year to year, application to application, and also some that are completely (seemingly) random differences. So far not enought is known to paint a complete picture of correctness. That said the "constants" can be reproduced with a fair amount of confidence. I've had stamps made of all the original markings I've discovered over the years and have noted what carb list# and date codes they were on so that I can make the best effort of adding accurate stampings to my customer's carburetor restorations. This has been no small undertaking and many of my competitors in the business have not done the same. So accordingly, in the name of fair competition, I don't offer ink stamping as a separate service or offer detailed info on the subject.  However, a person could have their original stampings scanned and reproduced by a local rubber stamp manufacturer as I have, or even copy some I or others have done on others carbs and end up pretty close.

750-h2

HEMICUDA

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on November 12, 2018, 05:33:39 PM
I have been accumulating ink stamp data for a number of years now. There are constants, and variables year to year, application to application, and also some that are completely (seemingly) random differences. So far not enought is known to paint a complete picture of correctness. That said the "constants" can be reproduced with a fair amount of confidence. I've had stamps made of all the original markings I've discovered over the years and have noted what carb list# and date codes they were on so that I can make the best effort of adding accurate stampings to my customer's carburetor restorations. This has been no small undertaking and many of my competitors in the business have not done the same. So accordingly, in the name of fair competition, I don't offer ink stamping as a separate service or offer detailed info on the subject.  However, a person could have their original stampings scanned and reproduced by a local rubber stamp manufacturer as I have, or even copy some I or others have done on others carbs and end up pretty close.

Show off :), see you this weekend at MCACN my friend.