Main Menu

Different countries, different priorities..

Started by gravyboy, April 05, 2018, 02:18:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gravyboy

Just an observation, and I am curious what others around the world say, but being able to drive modified ( or just old ) muscle cars legally is easier some places than others.

It seems that in California they are VERY strong on emissions ( judging by all the warnings on the parts I have procured ). But generally they seem very lax in the USA regarding mechanical and structural mods. I see you guys regularly talk about fabricating this and that and chucking it on the car and go! Is it in the spirit of freedom and personal responsibility the USA is famous for?

Here in New Zealand emissions are no worries. First thing we do here is throw out a cat converter and put a big exhaust on. But you can't touch steering or suspension with a welder or saw or hammer. If you do you need an engineer to ok everything and sign off the process to be able to get your car certified ( any mods from stock ). Aftermarket bolt on kits also must be approved. It is not easy and can be very expensive.

For example, my car has been certified as a stock 440. It will technically be illegal now due to....Much more powerful, Hotchkis UCAs, Borgeson p/s box and for sure if I change the brakes.

71-440

Different states here have different requirements. In New York before I left 20 years ago every car had to pass a mechanical inspection. Here in Georgia No mechanical
inspection but the Counties in the metro Atlanta area have to pass Emissions inspection.
California is just.....well.... California.
Joe

Chryco Psycho

Panama is like the 50s , no emissions or inspections , they do not care if any lights work even as long as the headlights work

RUNCHARGER

Canada is sort of okay but the leftists are really trying to spoil our fun as well as the new car dealers association. The dealers association is behind the scenes trying to push for inspections and anything else that will stop people from driving old cars and having to buy new ones. In B.C. where I live you want to be careful where you take your car to get inspected. Some stuff will pass at one place but another you can uncover a hornets nest that will take a lot of effort to get your car passed.
Sheldon

blown motor

Here in the province of Ontario emission test are determined by the population density of the county. Where I live they are required every two years. 3 1/2 miles up the road, in the next county, they have never been required due to lower population density. The car required a safety test on change of ownership and that's it. Do what you want with it after that as long as it's legal.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

1 Wild R/T

California doesn't do much in the way of vehicle inspections, They do smog but 75 & older is exempt so you can pretty much do as you please... Lots of turbos & blowers, injection, tunnel rams... what ever you want, pretty rare that anyone gets hassled, & if you do you probably did something to attract attention & now the officer is busting your balls cause you earned it....

72 Challenger

Quote from: blown motor on April 05, 2018, 06:55:58 PM
Here in the province of Ontario emission test are determined by the population density of the county. Where I live they are required every two years. 3 1/2 miles up the road, in the next county, they have never been required due to lower population density. The car required a safety test on change of ownership and that's it. Do what you want with it after that as long as it's legal.

Where I am in Ottawa, this all stands true BUT we also have to worry about sound. Even an old muscle car can be ticketed if, by officers discretion, the car is too loud.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Spikedog08

Michigan is pretty easy on everything . . . no tests, no emissions tests . . . just need to have proper lights after dark.  I see cars driving with no fenders or lacking a hood.  Pretty much a rusted junk pile moving down the road. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Timbbuc2

Alabama does not have a state inspection on cars, BUT ADOT does do random checks on 18 wheelers .
Get in, I'll drive

gravyboy

Real interesting. Here in N.Z we have a " Warrant of Fitness " which is a mechanical inspection every year ( cars newer than 2000 ) or every 6 months ( cars pre 2000 ). This checks tires, brakes, all steering and suspension joints,bushes, wheel bearings, lights etc. Noise is starting to come under the microscope but it depends who tests.
This safety check is ok, none of us want a car falling apart at speed and causing an accident, but getting a car from overseas legal is much more difficult. Seat belts, lights ( left hand drive cars headlights point in the wrong direction ( not backwards ) but towards the sidewalk. Any rust and you are screwed. Any non OE steering or suspension and you need to go through an extensive process $$$$.
Still, American cars are coming in volume.
Beach Hop is our largest car show annually and attracts well over 1000 quality cars.

RUNCHARGER

Where I live commercial trucks have to be inspected every 6 months, 12 months on trailers and if a cop doesn't like you he will force an inspection of your car anytime he feels like it.
Sheldon

HP2

Quote from: gravyboy on April 05, 2018, 02:18:26 PM
Just an observation, and I am curious what others around the world say, but being able to drive modified ( or just old ) muscle cars legally is easier some places than others.

It seems that in California they are VERY strong on emissions ( judging by all the warnings on the parts I have procured ). But generally they seem very lax in the USA regarding mechanical and structural mods. I see you guys regularly talk about fabricating this and that and chucking it on the car and go! Is it in the spirit of freedom and personal responsibility the USA is famous for?

This, along with any other number of social or personal freedoms, or requirements for that matter, vary widely from state to state. The United States actually lacks significant, unified, nation wide rules for quite a few things. Vehicle inspections, registrations, modifications, emissions, safety, so on and so forth is only one area of life where there is absolutely no consistentcy from state to state and there is little Federal oversight. 

superdave

We are the United states.... personally I'm big on state's rights (freedom :banana: ) ,not so much on federal oversight. Unfortunately the responsibility part of it is largely "out of fashion" these days. :thumbdown: personally I don't care for most people (not all of you) on either coast of this great land making decisions for how I  live my life here in the middle. :)

HP2

I think that is the challenge ANY country that is large and diverse faces whether it is the US, Canada, Australia, etc.  A nation no  bigger than one of our individual states can approach any number of issues in a considerably different fashion than what we  have to consider.

I think the challenger we face in our day and age is where is the line of social responsibility relative to individual freedom and how do we balance those to the greatest benefit of everyone involved.

gumby

I'm 99.9% sure that I remember Rick Ehrenberg touting one of the most beautiful thing about Mopar factory suspension, was that there was not one single weld anywhere.

Nothing to break from stress that way. You may do well to emulate that? I've seen pictures of aftermarket suspensions breaking under stress. It's not pretty.

Rick spanked a LOT of people in his humble Green Brick with competition from allegedly "high tech" suspensions, and so forth.

Sometimes it's not all about the money and show and shine and "new". Just what's using what is available to you. He did it low cost, and did it over and over again.
You might want to read his articles. Incorporate some of his techniques. Save some money and legal headaches, and STILL spank the competition?

Just an idea. The factory MOPAR engineers did things right. Tried and true. You might ask yourself, what are your true priorities?
Looking good? Or spanking the competition? Their maybe a conflict of interest?

Throwing money at something with unproven parts is a sure fire way to start out as a millionaire, and end up a thousandaire. Just my honest opinion.
Wouldn't hurt to read the articles. They are free. Google them, or at Moparts.

You can make old stuff look pretty with paint, lol. Google "Green Brick".