Main Menu

Different countries, different priorities..

Started by gravyboy, April 05, 2018, 02:18:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Priesty

Here in Australia we have the same issues from state to state. Each state has it's own registration conditions & requirements & they vary wildly. Luckily in the state of Victoria where I live there is a Club permit registration scheme in place. This allows cars to register through a car club at minimal cost with just a basic roadworthy inspection at the start. If the car is heavily modified however it requires a special "M" (modified) registration that has to be accompanied by an engineers certificate. Unfortunately though, some people are abusing the system by registering a stock import under the "H" (historic) registration then later on gutting the cars to fit tubs & blowers etc, hence avoiding the engineers fees, which are significant. Hopefully the scheme continues as a 90 day permit here in Vic only cost about $145 a year including insurance which makes it affordable for those of us with several other cars as well. The permit has an attached log book to determine how many days a year the car is driven. I only used 27 of my 90 days last year, time to get it out more often I think.
:australia:
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

blown motor

$145/yr for licence and insurance is great deal! @Priesty where do live in Victoria?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Priesty

I'm in Werribee, western suburbs of Melbourne.
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

HP_Cuda

California is well a pain. Smog laws got obnoxious in the mid to late 80's where anything newer then 1975 was deemed unfit for the road. What do I mean by that? Well you would have to go through the nasty smog certification process and if you didn't pass then through repairs to get it passed. When it started it actually started with any car before 1970, I guess enough folks complained and they moved it to 1975 later on where it sits today.

There is one exception to inspections here in CA. If you bring a car into the state from another state or overseas you must bring it through the DMV to do a VIN verification. At the same time they check your brake lights, turn indicators, head lights - simple stuff.

Yes I cannot wait to leave this Pension bloated Deficit spending state. This state will spend itself into oblivion!!!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200