Main Menu

Drag Week 2018 ... the return

Started by Marc70challenger, March 04, 2018, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc70challenger

So. Again sweating out the sign up anxiety scene this past Saturday ... we made it in. With a minute to spare.  :rubeyes:   Sign up was closed out in only 5 minutes this year.   :looney:

This year it's in the Southeast at some really nice tracks:

- Tech Sunday, September 9 Atlanta, GA – Atlanta Dragway

Racing starts Monday, September 10 Atlanta, GA – Atlanta Dragway
Tuesday, September 11 Darlington, SC – Darlington Dragway
Wednesday, September 12 Concord, NC – zMAX Dragway/Charlotte Motor Speedway
Thursday, September 13 Bristol, TN – Bristol Motor Speedway
Friday, September 14 Atlanta, GA – Atlanta Dragway

Many of the heavy hitters from a few years ago (overall winners too) are saying they are committed like Tom Bailey, J Lutz, Ev Bernardo, etc.  So it's going to be exciting to see if someone can break into the 5 sec ET range ... just insane. But will definitely be a lot of sick, fast cars.

Here's last year's thread with our build and pics and videos from last year:  https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/drag-week-2017-wooot/981/

We have a new convertor in so we should be honing in on our optimal 60ft times this spring. Though we will obviously hit the local tracks this summer ... it's a Drag Week car and build ... so that is always the focus.

Pretty sure we have solved the alternator issue from last year.  :rofl:   Larger pulley and a unit from Mechman made for this type of application.  (Pics below)

Also ran some straight pipe out on the open headers a week ago.  Still loud. ... :D ... but it is better and we will probably only need one layer of hearing protection this year. 

With new convertor, may move the trans cooler from in front of rad to under rear with its own fan unit. B&M Hi Tek Super cooler.  Especially with ambient temps we will probably see in the SE. Proactive measures.  :thinking:

Best news of all is @Brads70 will be returning with us!  Had a hell of a time last year.  :fingerscrossed: we can enjoy watching a bit more this year as well.  May have a group of old Drag Week vets from this area that we know could be going as well ... so we'd caravan with them and hang watching.

We'll keep this updated with DW info, car testing, etc.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

Should be a lot of fun again! Thanks for the invite!

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Brads70 on March 04, 2018, 07:17:25 PM
Should be a lot of fun again! Thanks for the invite!

Dude. Couldn't imagine it without ya !  Gonna be a blast.   :ohyeah:

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

You thinkin' caravan there Murray? It'd be nice of us to help prevent the lads drinking too much of that beer, wouldn't it? We could fill the trunk of your nice, new Challenger with alternators and ear muffs!  :))
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Marc70challenger

Guys!!!  You gotta come!!!  In 2016 we spectated. It was one of funnest things I ever did.  There's so many cool people and of course cars. Lots of Mopars too. And Canadians as well. And Canadians with Mopars ....  just in tech we helped one with fuses and after the first day run we ran another guys car almost out of gas charging our battery. lol.

And yes ... we need beer this year !!!

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on March 05, 2018, 08:42:06 PM
You thinkin' caravan there Murray? It'd be nice of us to help prevent the lads drinking too much of that beer, wouldn't it? We could fill the trunk of your nice, new Challenger with alternators and ear muffs!  :))

We'll see what the future holds. I'm in Ireland Aug 24- Sept 1. Might be beered out, I mean out of money!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Marc70challenger

Quote from: blown motor on March 06, 2018, 04:40:07 AM
Quote from: jimynick on March 05, 2018, 08:42:06 PM

We'll see what the future holds. I'm in Ireland Aug 24- Sept 1. Might be beered out, I mean out of money!

No such thing as a Canadian "beered" out. Lol

1 Wild R/T

Sounds like you guys are gonna be having a blast! 

Murray, a suggestion... Rather than earplugs/shooters muffs consider a set of noise cancelling headphones...  I use them all the time & good ones can do a pretty amazing job... I converted a buddy recently, he's worn shooters muffs for years & I let him try my Bose QC15's.. He couldn't believe how effective they are & not only eliminate outside noise but you can actually listen to music even at a very low volume.... What a concept....

Anyway he decided to buy some but didn't want Bose so first he bought Skull Candy brand, they were a joke, took them straight back.... Then he tried Sennheiser, they were better than Skull Candy but not even close to Bose....  So now he has Bose...   I was never a Bose fan either but their noise cancelling is about as good as it gets... Walk onto any Airliner & look whats on most of the business travelers heads...   

If you consider going this way look at the Bose Quiet Comfort 15... The QC20 & higher are rechargeable which is nice till they need a charge & you need to be on the road... The QC15 take a single AAA battery & it lasts easily 12+ hours... And when it dies a new battery takes seconds....

The only weak point of the QC15 is they aren't bluetooth, they use a cable from the music source to the headphone.... But a $26 adapter fixes that.... 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741F2DP1/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Marc70challenger

That's great info Wild.  Wife and actually have some Bose like those for flying.  Problem is we need to communicate in the car (they written directions you have to follow. A couple pages of : take Oak street for 5.1 miles, turn left onto state highway 321, after 9.0 miles ....) so Brad acts as the navigator. 

Last year I got some range-quality headset you could plug into walkie talkies.  But the mic picked up too much of the noise and we still had to wear insert plugs. Lol.  The racing quality units are like $1k plus for good set.  Ouch.

Maybe with the exhaust running out behind us those headsets will work or we'll try Bose and hand signals. Lol.

6-8 hours rolling with that loud exhaust I don't want to be responsible for damaging Brads hearing. Lol.

Thnaks for reminding me about those. I totally forget my wife and I had a set.

1 Wild R/T

Wonder if the drivers headphones could be blue toothed to a keypad that Brad could type directions into?   Bet theres someone here who know how to do it...

Oh, and sorry about the screw up, I typed Murray but was thinking Marc..

Marc70challenger

That would be cool.  I'll see who know what.  :thankyou:

dodj

Remember to post up pics again like last year. One of my favorite threads!
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on March 20, 2018, 09:33:13 AM
Remember to post up pics again like last year. One of my favorite threads!

I was posting video live on facebook last year. That seemed to be popular with a bunch of my facebook friends?