Main Menu

Dual snorkel housing differences

Started by YellowThumper, July 14, 2020, 08:45:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

You have to look at it from a stamping point of view (worked 18 years in a stamping plant)

The left and right snorkels are the same stamping. In 1970 they had a straight line. Sometime for the 1971 model year they added the breather hose to the driver's side....this required the "semi-circle" to be added to the stamping. I only assume they likely had 1000's of stampings already processed with the straight line. So, as for the assembly side of things, they would continue to use the old straight line stampings on the passenger side of the air cleaning until they were used up, and then just continue with the one stamping for both sides which now has a "semi-circle".

So once the "semi-circle" started to appear on the passenger's side sometime in the 71 model year, I would assume you would never see a straight lined one on either side after that. :alan2cents:  72and up "should" have the semi-circle on both sides, if my theory is correct.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 16, 2020, 03:35:02 AM
You have to look at it from a stamping point of view (worked 18 years in a stamping plant)

The left and right snorkels are the same stamping. In 1970 they had a straight line. Sometime for the 1971 model year they added the breather hose to the driver's side....this required the "semi-circle" to be added to the stamping. I only assume they likely had 1000's of stampings already processed with the straight line. So, as for the assembly side of things, they would continue to use the old straight line stampings on the passenger side of the air cleaning until they were used up, and then just continue with the one stamping for both sides which now has a "semi-circle".

So once the "semi-circle" started to appear on the passenger's side sometime in the 71 model year, I would assume you would never see a straight lined one on either side after that. :alan2cents:  72and up "should" have the semi-circle on both sides, if my theory is correct.

@anlauto take a look at all of the photos posted previously in this thread.  They All have the straight diagonal line on the driver's side snorkel, even the 71s with the added breather hose. 

headejm

:popcorn: Difficult to keep score on this one...

anlauto

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on July 16, 2020, 07:36:37 AM

@anlauto take a look at all of the photos posted previously in this thread.  They All have the straight diagonal line on the driver's side snorkel, even the 71s with the added breather hose.

@DeathProofCuda you're not following what I'm saying. Take a look at the 71 breathers pictured, see where the hose attaches to the snorkel ? Do you see the "semi-circle" where the hose nipple attaches ? Now imagine if that hose nipple wasn't there, and the entire snorkel stamping was on the passenger side of the air cleaner....It's the same stamping on both sides. The Semi-circle is only on one side of the snorkel, it has a straight line on the other side, like in ALL the pictures.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: anlauto on July 16, 2020, 10:01:11 AM
Quote from: DeathProofCuda on July 16, 2020, 07:36:37 AM

@DeathProofCuda you're not following what I'm saying. Take a look at the 71 breathers pictured, see where the hose attaches to the snorkel ? Do you see the "semi-circle" where the hose nipple attaches ? Now imagine if that hose nipple wasn't there, and the entire snorkel stamping was on the passenger side of the air cleaner....It's the same stamping on both sides. The Semi-circle is only on one side of the snorkel, it has a straight line on the other side, like in ALL the pictures.

Thanks @anlauto. You're right, I wasn't following you, but thanks for bearing with my thick head. :idea: :cheers:

anlauto

Out of the 50 cars I've restored, only 7 of them should have had this dual snorkel air breather. Now never really even thinking of this little detail before, I ended up getting 6 of the 7 correct. :banana: The only one wrong was my own personal Superbird which I did in the mid-90's, it has a 72+ air cleaner  :headbang:

YellowThumper

70s have straight lines on both snorkels the breather tube is on passenger side later model 71s have half circle on the side of right snorkel but the breather tube wraparound back of housing to drivers side snorkel the 72s and later look like the later 71s but the breather tube is again located on the passenger side the same as the 70s but still had the same half circles that matches the 71s.

Did that sentence run on? Asking for a friend.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

This is a 1971 dual snorkel air cleaner. It's unique to 71 with the wrap around hose across the back. Notice the straight edge on the passenger side snorkel. Not all 71s had the curved rounded version. I've had many like this with the straight edge. I tend to believe Alan's theory that a bunch were stamped out and they used up the straight ones before finally switching over to the others from then on.

YellowThumper

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on July 16, 2020, 05:46:36 PM
This is a 1971 dual snorkel air cleaner. It's unique to 71 with the wrap around hose across the back. Notice the straight edge on the passenger side snorkel. Not all 71s had the curved rounded version. I've had many like this with the straight edge. I tend to believe Alan's theory that a bunch were stamped out and they used up the straight ones before finally switching over to the others from then on.
I tend to agree also with theory.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.