Main Menu

Dynamat for interior

Started by fc7cuda, January 05, 2017, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

I noticed Cody using the  Dynamat Xtreme on the floors of the FY1 TA in another thread and was wondering about the results from him and anyone else who has used it.  Do you use it to cover the complete fllorboards of just above the area where the exhaust travels? (pics?)

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynamat-xtreme/

Dynamat also offers a thinner Superlite, but they clearly state the sound damping is not as good.   

Thanks
Tom

Timbbuc2

I just finished using this from Amazon, I thought it really worked great,
Get in, I'll drive

fc7cuda

Yeah, that stuff looks good too.  Did you use a spray on adhesive or just lay in place?  Looks like the carpet would be more comfortable too.

Thanks  :cheers:

Shoooter

I used fatmat got it on ebay way cheaper. Worked great. I used a heat gun and applied it.

fc7cuda

Have not heard of fatmat, I'll have to check it out.  Thanks!

Timbbuc2

I used a heat gun and a small roller that is used for wall paper, the seams I used HVAC aluminum  tape. I bought 2 kits, will do the roof and doors
Tim
Get in, I'll drive

Cuda Cody

Where I notice the biggest difference is in the doors and quarters.  Don't put it so far back that you can see it from the trunk area.  Inside the doors really makes the door shut with a clean sound.  Doesn't rattle and sounds like it's built right.  The roof (under the headliner) also makes the car sound better when driving.  I have had good luck with it so I keep using it.  I'm sure FatMat or Dynamat will work the same. 

HP_Cuda

I used Fatmat with good results.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

303 Mopar

Another vote for FatMat, way cheaper that Dynamat and just as good.  I ordered a kit with pre-cut sheets instead of one big roll.  Made it a lot easier and faster.

http://www.fatmat.com/shop/36-sq-ft-fatmat-bulk-pack-install-kit-included-6620

headejm

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 05, 2017, 03:46:04 PM
Where I notice the biggest difference is in the doors and quarters.  Don't put it so far back that you can see it from the trunk area.  Inside the doors really makes the door shut with a clean sound.  Doesn't rattle and sounds like it's built right.  The roof (under the headliner) also makes the car sound better when driving.  I have had good luck with it so I keep using it.  I'm sure FatMat or Dynamat will work the same.

Would you use it on any car? A $M Hemi? I'm sure it would be better for a driver but I'm worried about maintaining originality. Comments?

Cuda Cody

It's not easy to remove, but it can be done.  I'm okay with using it on Six Packs and Hemis.  Especially if I am going to drive them.   :driving:  I hate rattles and squeaks and want my cars to look good, sound good and feel good.  I would not blame anyone that didn't want to use it on a big dollar car.  Just my  :alan2cents:

Quote from: headejm on January 05, 2017, 08:00:21 PM
Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 05, 2017, 03:46:04 PM

Would you use it on any car? A $M Hemi? I'm sure it would be better for a driver but I'm worried about maintaining originality. Comments?

fc7cuda

I ordered the Dynamat Xtreme off Ebay.

Based on the information here and on information read elsewhere, the Dynamat seems to be the best product available for my needs.  Got 36 sq. ft for $143.95 which breaks down to about $4/sq. ft.  I had read that the Fatmat was not recommended for Texas due to the smell it could emits when the interior gets overly hot. This Texas sun can be brutal!   :o

I hope to have it installed by next weekend.

Tom

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Didn't see a price on the website.  Any idea what they charge for the bulk kit?

I'm fine with any manufacture of this type of sound deadener because I think it all about the same and works great.  So if I can save a few bucks I'm all in!

Quote from: anlauto on January 06, 2017, 06:39:44 AM
I use Wirez stuff with good results http://www.gotwirez.com/sound-deadening

anlauto

When I was buying it it was almost half of Dynamat....I buy it at a local Ma & Pa stereo place so  he's happy as a pig in poo when I say I want 100 sq/ft :takemymoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration