Main Menu

Electric Drill Bit Sharpeners (What's Best)

Started by Jim AAR, January 25, 2021, 06:40:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jim AAR

I'm looking at buying an electric drill bit sharpener, anyone know what's the best bang for your buck?

docmel

Skdmark

The old school guys do them by hand, I was trained on how to do it 25 years ago by hand.
Besides a pedestal grinder, it takes practice, a steady hand, quench can and a drill gauge.

If you aren't able to hand sharpen on a pedestal grinder, then a Drill Doctor is something to look at. See link below.
You need something that can do a variety of point angles (118 and 135 at least) and can do both split points and cam relief points. I wouldn't think they would do Carbide too well, but HSS and HSS-Co will be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BKTA00/?tag=best-drill-bit-sharpener-20

I worked at a 125 year old German Drill manufacturer for 15 years. Got to spend time in both the HSS and Carbide drill factories.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Chryco Psycho

I do them by hand with a smooth disc on my angle grinder

1 Wild R/T

I was given a drill doctor 10 years ago... It actually works very well if you learn how to use it properly... My eyesight isn't what it use to be so small bits can be a PITA ... 3/8" & bigger yeah I can free hand them but honestly the Drill Doctor does a better job, it does 118 & 135 degree, it does split points...  And yes it does work on carbide bits...

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: I bet I've got 200 Drill bits. Nothing worse than breaking your only one of that size. I chuck em in the garbage when they're done now.
Sheldon

Brads70

Being a mold maker for 25 years .... I do them by hand. I have worked in shops where they had drill sharpeners. ( Darex)I would never let the apprentices near them but thats just me , kinda old school.
When I was an apprentice I was under a really good old English journeyman. I learned a lot from that old guy. We became good friends.  I would spend all morning learning to sharpen a drill and after getting his approval he would walk over to the pedestal grinder and grind it flat and say good now do it again.  Drove me nuts but he was a very good teacher!  :D   Various ways to sharpen drills depending on what material your drilling.

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm not so talented so I have a Drill Doc.  they do work pretty well BUT it does take a bit to learn proper technique

dodj

Used to work at a subway car manufacturing plant in the '80's. Learned how to sharpen by hand back then. Still do it that way.
Best bang for the buck...a bench grinder with a fine wheel and practice.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jim AAR

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on January 25, 2021, 12:52:41 PM
I was given a drill doctor 10 years ago... It actually works very well if you learn how to use it properly... My eyesight isn't what it use to be so small bits can be a PITA ... 3/8" & bigger yeah I can free hand them but honestly the Drill Doctor does a better job, it does 118 & 135 degree, it does split points...  And yes it does work on carbide bits...

Exactly why I was asking, I've been sharpening my own for years but the small ones are getting harder and harder to see to do a good job on even with glasses.

I've never bought one so I was just curious to see if its worth the money.

Thanks for all the replies.....

moparroy

I have a Drill Doctor - and would definitely buy it again. It does take some practice and I don't use it often but even relearning it a bit each time is worth it. Never got good enough for small bits - only attempt 1/4" and up. Small 1/8 are cheap so I toss them. Only a hobbyist here so no way I would ever get good enough to do it free hand - have tried but never got any good results- I have had good results with Drill Dr.