Main Menu

Electric license plate

Started by cudacruiser, April 20, 2020, 10:43:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudacruiser

Might sound like a crazy question but has anyone ever come across a 72 Cuda that had it's license plate bracket rigged so that you would flip a switch on the dash and the license plate would pop up?

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site , I think a bit of creativity could make it happen  :bigthumb:

anlauto

I think James Bond did that once.. :haha:

Welcome to the best E Body site in the world :welcome:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

:welcome: I think 007's car was rigged to change the plate to a different one. :haha:  :cheers:

Bullitt-

Soooooo you'd be running around with the gas cap exposed???  Don't see the point  ::)
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Scooter

^^^ Probably so you don't have to hold it open when fueling up. The spout on my 67 Fairlane is behind the plate as well and the spring is pretty stout.

JH27N0B

I've wanted to get something like that for my front plate on my late model cars, like my Challenger.
I don't like front plates and think they are pretty useless, but have got busted 3 times over the years for no front plates.  I guess you can argue that I violated a law so I can't complain, but as someone who drives 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year mostly on Chicago area roads I witness terrible and dangerous drivers on almost a daily basis, people driving 25-30 mph over the limit on busy highways weaving through traffic, crotch rockets doing wheelies while doing the same, road rage, tailgating, you name it.  Never once have I witnessed one of these nuts get pulled over.
But then I get nailed for some nitpicking thing like no front plate?  The cop does not have his priorities straight or picks me as an easy target rather than take some risk going after truly dangerous drivers.
So my thought was if I had an electric front holder, that rotates the bracket under the valence, I could run with the plate down.  When I get stopped, hit the switch, then tell the cop he's wrong, I do have a front plate!  Then when we check and it's there, I would raise a big fuss that the cop has vision problems and is not safe to drive and needs to be taken off the road.
That's my devious fantasy at any rate!  :Stirring:

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 21, 2020, 07:57:28 AM
I've wanted to get something like that for my front plate on my late model cars, like my Challenger.
I don't like front plates and think they are pretty useless, but have got busted 3 times over the years for no front plates.  I guess you can argue that I violated a law so I can't complain, but as someone who drives 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year mostly on Chicago area roads I witness terrible and dangerous drivers on almost a daily basis, people driving 25-30 mph over the limit on busy highways weaving through traffic, crotch rockets doing wheelies while doing the same, road rage, tailgating, you name it.  Never once have I witnessed one of these nuts get pulled over.
But then I get nailed for some nitpicking thing like no front plate?  The cop does not have his priorities straight or picks me as an easy target rather than take some risk going after truly dangerous drivers.
So my thought was if I had an electric front holder, that rotates the bracket under the valence, I could run with the plate down.  When I get stopped, hit the switch, then tell the cop he's wrong, I do have a front plate!  Then when we check and it's there, I would raise a big fuss that the cop has vision problems and is not safe to drive and needs to be taken off the road.
That's my devious fantasy at any rate!  :Stirring:

:haha: :bigthumb: Sounds like you've given that a lot of thought ... :vipermanhiding:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71gogreen

Hi every one!, Ohio is finally eliminating the front plates by July 1st 2020! I'm glad That I didn't drill holes in my front bumper on my 2017 T/A! :wrenching:

Mr Lee

Quote from: anlauto on April 21, 2020, 06:12:36 AM
I think James Bond did that once.. :haha:

Welcome to the best E Body site in the world :welcome:

Knight Rider too!

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

cudacruiser

Thanks for the welcomes all!

Ok, now for the rest of the story....

I'm actually looking for my old HS ride.  Back in the day I thought it would be fun to try out an electric trunk release on my license plate, wired it up so that a flip of a switch under the dash activated the trunk release.  I put that release under the mechanical one in the trunk of my '72 Cuda.  From there build a U bracket and cut a slot behind the license plate frame, when the license plate was down that U bracket clicked perfectly into the electric release.  Last step in the mod was to wind the springs the other way, so instead of holding it closed it held it open.  There ya go, flip the switch and the license plate flipped up.

Why?  Well, this was security to protect my tank from someone deciding to urinate in it as a gag.  Second, if I needed a plateless getaway after being caught speeding I had that option (only used for this purpose once).

I figure I'm probably the only nut that has tried this mod, so if that car is still out there this is one simple way to identify it.  I'm from the Iowa area, the car was last seen in Worthington MN in 1980.

soundcontrol

My 08 SRT Challenger had one of those fro the front plate when I bought it, reason is that in Sweden we have speed cameras that reads your plates, you just get a speeding ticket in the mail if you pass those too fast. It was just a hinged holder with a small electric motor and a switch inside the car. I broke it on a speed bump the first week.

chargerdon

Back near Pgh, Pa, a guy built a custom car that was called "Studster".   Basically a beautiful no top 53 Studebaker Hawk, but heavily modified. 

He put a dissapearing rear licesnse plate on it.   He also had a retracting electronic dash board in it.   Magnificent. 

It turned heads everywhere it went and was featured in several magazines.