Main Menu

Engine Run Stand

Started by Yellow71Cuda, August 26, 2022, 10:09:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Yellow71Cuda

I'd like to start up my freshly rebuilt 340 (build currently in process) out of the car for ease of cam break-in/check for leaks/etc., and also to avoid potentially scratching my car's paint in case any issues arise shortly after initial start-up. My plan is to paint the 340 afterward, and then install it from the bottom. Engine run stands are made for this exact purpose, but they can be expensive...and I don't plan on building many (or any) more engines.

Has anyone had any experience utilizing the factory K-Frame (and bellhousing) to mount the engine to say...a few cheap 1,000 lb. Harbor Freight moving dollies and a few wood 4x4s?  :thinking:

I know this sounds like a really cheapo way to do things (perhaps?), but I suspect this is a one-time thing, and I'd hate to buy all the required metal square tubing...weld it all up...and never use it again.

Any sharing of thoughts is greatly appreciated.  :drinkingbud:           

Rich G.

If you're close to me in NJ I'd loan you mine.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Rich G. on August 26, 2022, 11:05:02 AM
If you're close to me in NJ I'd loan you mine.

:thankyou: Thank you Rich for the offer, but I'm in Florida.

mrwfp

We had a home made version using 2x4's, 2x6's and casters to roll the set up under the car. It held the weight of the entire 440 with auto tranny and K member with no issues as we moved it around. As far as running the engine this way, we did not do that.  The motor will have to be strapped down so it doesn't rock on the cart when running and the cart itself immobilized. Where in Florida are you?
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

larry4406

On auto tranny's you have to have a yoke installed in the tail shaft or it will puke tranny fluid all over.

With an auto you need the trans installed with the converter so the starter will engage the ring gear on the converter.

Manual just install the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, and starter and all is good. No tranny needed.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: larry4406 on August 26, 2022, 01:47:40 PM
On auto tranny's you have to have a yoke installed in the tail shaft or it will puke tranny fluid all over.

With an auto you need the trans installed with the converter so the starter will engage the ring gear on the converter.

Manual just install the flywheel, clutch, bell housing, and starter and all is good. No tranny needed.

Yes, it's a manual (4-speed), so for the engine run stand...I'd plan on mounting the stand to the rear (four) bellhousing bolts which are normally used to bolt the trans to the bellhousing. No trans would be mounted at this point.

MoparLeo

Since breaking in a cam requires 20 minutes or more of the engine running you will also need to have a functioning cooling system hooked up that will maintain normal operating temperatures for at least that amount of time as well as a sufficient fuel source and engine wiring harness connected and functional. Much more than bolting to a stand or K-member.
If you take your time and double check everything during assembly you should not have any surprise issues.
If you are unsure of anything, follow the owners manual and always have a helper with you, hopefully one with experience.
Follow common sense safety practices and start the engine out in the open, not in a garage or car port. Just in case you do have an accidental fire, you don't want the house to burn up as well. It has happened many times.  Have a proper sized and type of fire extinguisher handy as well. A bucket of water with a large towel in it will also do in a pinch. Have the air filter housing installed before you start as well.
When priming the fuel system, never pour gas down the carb. really unsafe.
Use a squeeze bottle and a length of rubber tubing that will fit over the bowl vent tubes of whatever carburetor you are using and fill the bowls. To prime the engine all you need to do is operate the throttle and have the accelerator pump do its job.
Also you should prime the oil system. You must have both the distributor and the oil pump drive/cam gear removed. Using a drill motor and the proper sized Allen headed socket or drive rod to engage the pump. Be sure to reinstall the oil pump drive indexed correctly.
https://www.moparonlineperformance.com/product-p/p4286800_gen2.htm
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...