Main Menu

Exhaust sound.

Started by js27, December 18, 2018, 09:19:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

Anybody here ever just run straight mufflers without the resonators on a 70 Challenger and then add them on?
I was just wondering how the resonators would change the sound. I ran straight pipe off the headers and just the factory mufflers since I restored the car and was just wondering if there is a different in sound and or performance.
JS27

RUNCHARGER

IMO; That will sound fine. It seems every E-body in the 70's and 80's had that setup. When I heard one drive by I could tell whether the resonators were in place or not.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I'm curious of the difference myself. Do they make resonators in 2 1/2"?

Chryco Psycho

MIne was done that way also , sometimes you will get a drone depending on the mufflers used , exhaust can have a big effect on power

roguedc72

just wondered are those reproduction pipes or were they bent by an exhaust shop? exhaust is the next step for my 72 340.

Burdar

With the mufflers being at the back of the car, they are going to take awhile to warm up and burn off the water that collects in them from combustion.  If you don't have them already, I'd add some weep holes down low at the back.  You can punch a hole in the back case down by the seam with an awl.  An 1/8" hole is more than big enough.  It will let the water escape and your mufflers will last longer.

js27

Quote from: roguedc72 on December 19, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
just wondered are those reproduction pipes or were they bent by an exhaust shop? exhaust is the next step for my 72 340.
The tail pipes are stock original the pipe from the headers to the tailpipes were bent at a local muffler shop. I bought a set of cheap Cherry Bomb glass packs that bolted to the headers and drove it to the muffler shop.
JS27