Main Menu

Factory assembly line markings

Started by Shoooter, November 28, 2020, 08:05:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

My friend has a white 1970 383 challenger . He stripped it down and we noticed that someone has put JS23D on the rear floor area. Anyone seen this or knows what it means?

worthywads

Shoooter

I'm almost positive the rear quarters rolled down so I don't think so. Unless there's another way of telling?

Shoooter

What else determines if it is a deputy?  Could it be a demo?

Skdmark

If he has the fender tag, it should have A93 on it if it's a deputy.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

cuda hunter

If you get  a chance post the picture over here please.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/factory-doodles-and-drawings/2351/msg34096#msg34096

Back on the old site we had a doodles thread that was some 20 pages long.  I like seeing the factory doodles.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Shoooter

There is a fender tag but the previous owner has it aslns isn't really cooperating to hand it over or release the details of it.

Shoooter

The car also had a sunroof at some point.  The hole is huge! Seams on it look almost factory. Does anyone have a picture of a factory sunroof  from the inside with no headliner ect? @anlauto

Flatdad

D for Dual I bet.

It actually says JH23-D, Since its a JH car with a 383 my guess is it lets the line workers know that it needs the holes and bracket for dual exhaust. Being that its not an R/T car, it would be easy to overlook that part of the assembly process especially if it came down the line with a standard flat hood.

Burdar

It might not mean much of anything.  IMO it was probably just the top floor pan in the stack from the plant that stamped them.  Just like the #s on my trans tunnel.

anlauto

Quote from: Shoooter on December 01, 2020, 10:17:05 AM
The car also had a sunroof at some point.  The hole is huge! Seams on it look almost factory. Does anyone have a picture of a factory sunroof  from the inside with no headliner ect? @anlauto

Oddly enough, four sunroof cars and not one picture of the inner structure...Next time you see the car, snap a picture, I can likely tell if it's original or not..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

I will grab a picture this weekend. As for the D being a duel exhaust it could be. Good guess on the 383 as well!

Burdar

Isn't there a dual exhaust code on the fender tag?  The fender tag #s are there so the body shop knows which holes need to be punched in the body.

Challenger and Barracuda floor pans are different.  I think this was just a way for the stamping plant to denote that a stack of floor pans was for a Challenger. :alan2cents:

Shoooter

Someone put a giant sunroof in the car but after looking at it I don't think it's factory.

There is a fender tag but we can't get ahold of it as the previous owner is not giving it up.  The car is a 383 2 barrel so no duel exhaust on it.  The markings were probably just to identify challenger vs barracuda as stated

Skdmark

Quote from: Burdar on December 02, 2020, 05:37:06 AM
Isn't there a dual exhaust code on the fender tag?

N41 on fender tag for dual exhaust
N42 on fender tag for exhaust tips
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: