Main Menu

Fender Tag/Paint code Questions

Started by DodgeGuy, May 03, 2019, 03:49:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DodgeGuy

I want to get some touch up paint for my 1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye.

According to the guy I bought it off of, the color the car is currently painted (he called it "gun metal gray") was the factory color, and actually was a "special order

This is what I got when I ran the VIN through an online decoder:

JH23:
Dodge Challenger
High
2 Door Hardtop

L4B: 360 245HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL HP
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

228548:   Sequence number

E58:    360 cid 4 barrel V8 245hp
D21:    4 Speed Manual Transmission
Special Order Exterior Color
A6X9:    Trim - Basic, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
000:    Full Door Panels
B28:    Build Date: November 28
J01212:   Order number

V1X:    Full Vinyl Top, Black
U:    USA Specifications
A57: 72-74    Rallye Package
B41:    Front Disc Brakes w/Standard 10in RR Drum
C56:    Bucket Seats
G51:    Unknown

J25:    3 Speed Wipers
J52:    Inside Hood Release
J54:    Sport Hood
L31:    Hood/Fender Mounted Turn Signals
M08:    Simulated Louvers
M21:    Roof drip rail moldings

M25:    Wide sill moldings
M26:    Wheel Lip Moldings
N41:    Dual Exhaust
N42:    Chrome Exhaust Tips
N76:    Coolant Recovery System

N85:    Tachometer
R35:    AM/FM Stereo Radio  (10 Watts)
V08:    Paint, Trim, and Vinyl Roof Edit Waiver
V09:    Paint Special Order
V6X:    Longitudinal Stripes, Black
CTD:    Codes Continued on 2nd Fender Tag

This seems to verify that the paint was indeed "special order", but how do I know that gun metal gray was the specific color the car was ordered with?

Secondly, is there a "paint code" I need to find to give to the guy who is going to get the paint for me? (that's what he thought I should be able to find)

As an aside, I have a "two-fender tag" car....is there a special way to put the code into the decoder since it's a 2nd tag? 

1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

headejm

DodgeGuy

Quote from: headejm on May 03, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
:popcorn:

This seems rather ominous   :notsure:

EDIT: My bad, I misunderstood  :twothumbsup:
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

1 Wild R/T

Not ominous, just watching...

To truly be 100% positive you would need to un-earth original documentation.. Likely not gonna happen... Look for traces of original paint... In the trunk, maybe in the engine compartment behind the brake booster, in the interior, under the carpet...

Funny thing is A-5  (Dark Silver Poly) is a factory color that many would refer to as gun metal gray.... 

DodgeGuy

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 03, 2019, 05:51:47 PM

To truly be 100% positive you would need to un-earth original documentation.. Likely not gonna happen... Look for traces of original paint... In the trunk, maybe in the engine compartment behind the brake booster, in the interior, under the carpet...

Funny thing is A-5  (Dark Silver Poly) is a factory color that many would refer to as gun metal gray....

Thanks RT!

Yeah, that A-5 looks a LOT like what is on it.

Is the paint code just A-5 or does it include the 2513?
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

6bblgt

a prior year's paint or a paint that was exclusive on C-bodies are the most common 999 "special order" paints, behind the kick panels or the package tray are probable areas to find remnants of original paint

1972 was the last year for GA4 "light gunmetal metallic" * (has a blue cast to it under certain lighting)
1973 was the first year for JA5 "dark silver metallic" & was still available for 1974 * (this would not have required the "special order paint" codes & VON)

also take note of the GA8 "dark gunmetal metallic" that Dodge had in '71 on full size cars

@Burdar has a JA5 Rallye Challenger, maybe he can add some pics of his car for comparisson  :twothumbsup:

6bblgt

Quote from: DodgeGuy on May 03, 2019, 03:49:11 PM
As an aside, I have a "two-fender tag" car....is there a special way to put the code into the decoder since it's a 2nd tag?

you have to do a second decode with just the info on the second tag - VIN on the bottom & sales codes on line 3 or 4 (from the bottom)

6bblgt

you should just need the year & GA4 or JA5 to get the correct paint, but modern paints are going to be "custom" anyway

there was also a 1969-'72 color EA9 "charcoal metallic"/"dark gray metallic" that was Imperial & full size Dodge

DodgeGuy

Thank you 6bblgt, that's very helpful! :worship:

That's why this board is so awesome... :cheers:
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

anlauto

G51 would be driver's side chrome racing mirror :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DodgeGuy

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 03, 2019, 07:14:49 PM
Quote from: DodgeGuy on May 03, 2019, 03:49:11 PM

you have to do a second decode with just the info on the second tag - VIN on the bottom & sales codes on line 3 or 4 (from the bottom)

I just ran the codes from the 2nd tag, and this is what it came up with (minus the codes that were repeated from the 1st tag)

Y39:  Special Order
26:  26in radiator
L2: Unknown
946: Unknown

Anybody know what the 2 "Unknown" codes are for, and what was the "Special Order" the Y39 code refers to?  Again, these were on the 2nd tag.
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

torredcuda

Quote from: DodgeGuy on May 03, 2019, 06:23:16 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 03, 2019, 05:51:47 PM

Thanks RT!

Is the paint code just A-5 or does it include the 2513?

A-5 is the actualpaint code, the letter in front - G or J etc. is a designation for the first year that color was available,  2513 is PPGs number for that color
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Culvers

L2 = End of codes, production  line 2
946 = nobody knows

Burdar

Quote1973 was the first year for JA5 "dark silver metallic" & was still available for 1974 

@6bblgt  I believe 73 was the only year JA5 was available on an E-body.  It was available in 74 on a B-body.(and maybe on other body styles)  Would JA5 get the special order paint code in that instance?

Here JA5 is listed as a B-body paint option.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1974/74_Charger_Color_Trim0012.jpg

JA5 is not listed as an E-body paint option.
https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/colorAndTrim/1974/74_Challenger0004.jpg

6bblgt

Quote from: Culvers on May 04, 2019, 03:18:18 PM
L2 = End of codes, production  line 2
946 = nobody knows

946 = line sequence number