Main Menu

fender turn signals

Started by pink aar, April 25, 2017, 06:29:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

Does anyone have a picture and the measurements for drilling the holes in the fender for the turn signals. I found one for  the 72-74 years.  I could use it for a guide if I have too. Thanks

Cuda Cody

I know I've seen that measurement before....  stand by:

pink aar

I'm sorry, I should have noted for a 70 cuda

Cuda Cody

Still looking for the measurements.  If I can not find it, I'll go measure it for you.....

Cuda Cody

@pink aar   here you go.  These are from a 1970 Cuda.  Hope they help.   :drinkingbud:

Cuda Cody

Click to enlarge the photos if needed.   :ohyeah:

Burdar

The turn signal lights changed in 73 to a generic one size fits all style.  I think it was used up into the 80's.  There is definitely a difference between 72 and 73.  They attach differently....use different hole sizes. 

cataclysm80

There's also a difference between 70 and 71.
If you're working on a 70, make sure your measurements come from a 70.

6bblgt

here's '70 & '71 'cuda - the '70 is original paint, can't guarantee the '71 is accurate

Cuda Cody

Great photos Dan!   :clapping:  I have a few more docs to add in case anyone needs them.

Cuda Cody

@pink aar   let us know if you need any more help.  No pressure, but we would love to see some photos of you car?   :please:    :bigthumb:   and thanks for joining us!

Shoooter

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 25, 2017, 07:12:33 PM
@pink aar   let us know if you need any more help.  No pressure, but we would love to see some photos of you car?   :please:    :bigthumb:   and thanks for joining us!

Let's she his car and your 70 :bradsthumb:

cataclysm80

A few weeks ago, I participated in a fender mounted turn signal conversation on the E-Bodies.org Facebook group.
I posted several pictures of fender turn signals from various years, to show that they were different.
I realized that I didn't take any good pictures of the fender mounted turn signal holes in my own 70 'Cuda, and said that it would be nice if someone could post a pic of just the holes without the light installed.
Shortly thereafter, someone offered to send me a free template created from a pencil rubbing of their original fenders.
I offered to pay postage, but they really wanted to send it for free.  What a nice person!  We have some great people on the Facebook group.
Though I'm not currently building a fender turn signal car, I didn't want to turn down the free template, thinking that I could probably scan it and share it with others in the future.

That's when I got the idea that we could possibly include templates like this here on the E-Bodies.org forum, for anybody who needs them.
Ideally, I would include this template in the reference section, inside a thread named "L31 Fender Mounted Turn Signals", which along with the templates, would also include photos and information about this option for the various years of E bodies.  Basically, everything you would need to know about this option. 
For now though, here is a test of the concept.  It could be refined a little more, but here is a first try.

I have scanned the pencil rubbings that were sent to me.  These are for a 1970 Barracuda / 'Cuda.
The marked corner of the page aligns with where the rear of the header panel meets the fender.
The marked long edge of the page aligns with the edge of the fender by the hood.

As a safety feature, I have added a 3 inch straight line to the template.
The template should be printed "actual size" or "100%".  Do Not print it as "fit to page" or scaled to a different size!
After printing the template, you can simply measure the 3 inch line.  If the line measures 3 inches on your print, then the template is the correct size.
(A print size error is easier to notice on a longer line.  For example, if you printed the template at 94% of actual size, a 1 inch line would be 1/16 smaller, but a 3 inch line would be 3/16 smaller, which is more noticeable.  The longer line magnifies the difference.  Using a 1 inch line as a safety feature would be less safe.  A 5 inch line would make scaling errors even more obvious than a 3 inch line.  I'd probably use a 5 inch line for safety on future templates.)

The template should have a label indicating what it's for.  In this case, 1970 Barracuda / 'Cuda Fender Turn Signals.

I'm thinking it would be better if the reference point was a line on the page, instead of being the edge of the page.
Also, trying to keep any reference marks a half inch away from the edge of the page would be good, because I think there is a margin at the edge of the page which is unprintable area.

The instructions that were sent to me with the rubbings, say to align the template on the fender,
Use a center punch to mark the fender for drilling,
drill 3 holes that are 1/4 inch diameter as marked on template,
drill 1 hole that is 5/8 diameter as marked on template,
clean up holes with file as needed,
prime and paint bare metal,
install gasket with light housing, lens, & bulb,
connect wiring harness.

I've also included a photo of the template on a fender here, just to show how it aligns with the hood & header panel.

Cuda Cody

cataclysm80

So, what do you guys think?

When you print this out, is the 3 inch safety line actually 3 inches?
Any problems?

Is this something that would be useful to people?

I'm thinking there's a few things which are regularly asked for, where templates might be nice.
fender pentastar
'Cuda tailpanel emblem
'Cuda door panel emblems
Manual transmission reverse light
etc.