Main Menu

Fuel gauge

Started by 72fury, April 03, 2017, 07:31:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72fury

Ok. This has been driving me crazy and i want it fixed! For a 70 challenger that is 100% stock. Gas tank and sending unit are 3 years old. Has new electronic gauge regulator. Problem is the fuel gauge never reads full. The first pic is where it registers when its full all the way up to the gas cap.  Second pic is when its off.  Ive used an ohm meter at the sending unit and it seems to be within specs.  When i go uphill the gauge drops. When i go down hill it goes back or stays the same. When i turn left it goes down. When i turn right it goes back or stays the same. Also when it gets to the 1/4 mark it sits there for 100miles before it moves again and then fluctuates from e to 1/4. Also when about at 1/4 sometimes the gauge wont register untill i start moving.  Grounds are good at sending unit. Have added 2 more just to make sure.  Could it be that the arm of the sending unit needs to be adjusted? The float? Or a faulty gauge? This has been driving me crazy and since its my daily driver i see it every day.  Thanks

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

72fury

That does help.  Seems that might be the full issue.  Thanks.  But still doesnt cover why the gauge moves so quick going up and down hill. 

Cuda Cody

Not sure if this helps?

72fury

It does. At least i can pull the sending unit out and test it with a b body gauge i have and an ohm meter.  Im thinking the arm isnt moving all the way up. I watched another video that showed the same issue but with empty and how to adjust the stops fo more arm movement. 

HP_Cuda

I think you will find after testing that you will want to replace the sender.

JMHO.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Brads70

If you find it's the gauge I'm sure I have spares around..... :wave: