Main Menu

Fuel tank rattle

Started by cudamadd, June 19, 2020, 11:49:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudamadd

I have had this very anoring rattel at the back of my car new shockers,new left spring and shackle rubbers exhaust is very tight could not find the this rattel etc took the jack and wheel out of trunk still there and found that it's the fuel tank .My question is the two metal stripes that hold up the tank ,should there be any rubber there between the tank and the stripes to stop this rattel ?

Floyd

There wasn't any rubber or any other material between the straps and the gas tank.  There is a gas tank pad that goes between the top of the tank and the bottom of the trunk floor. 

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/mopar-e-body-70-74-e-body-barracuda-challenger-fuel-gas-tank-pad-insulation-070-felt-paper-grommet-seal-set/

He offers several different types of material.  The link above is OE style I believe.

cudamadd

anlauto

Can you tighten the straps any more ? That could help maybe ? :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Hard to believe the fuel tank could rattle. With the weight of the fuel and how tight the straps are you would think the tank could never move. If those upper shock bolts aren't really tight it will make a hell of a rattle.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on June 20, 2020, 06:23:38 AM
Hard to believe the fuel tank could rattle. With the weight of the fuel and how tight the straps are you would think the tank could never move. If those upper shock bolts aren't really tight it will make a hell of a rattle.

OH YEA.....that's very true...I had that problem before with one of my cars...took me forever to figure it out....Those upper shock bolts use a lock nut, so you really have to tighten those suckers down.... Good thought Rich :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Burdar

The tank isn't hard to remove.  I'd run the tank really low on gas and remove it.  Then you can shake it around and see if something inside is rattling.  It might not be the tank-to-body that's rattling.  Something might have come loose in the sending unit.  I think there are some vent tubes that run to each corner of the tank inside.  Maybe one of them came loose.  Maybe there is a rock on top of the tank making noise.

You can also check the connection of the filler tube to the body.  Make sure that's not loose.

7E-Bodies

Roseville sells the pad for the top of the tank. If you didn't replace new or went without, I'd consider doing that at least. Cheap necessity.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

cudamadd

Problem fixed rear shocker bolts were not tighten up enough  :thankyou:

7E-Bodies

That'll get loud. Congrats!

anlauto

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yup, I had the same issue on one of my cars.  Took me riding around in the trunk of the car to find out it was the top shock nut not all the way tight. 

7E-Bodies

Way to trust those exhaust tips, Cody!