Main Menu

Getting close! What fluids to buy?

Started by MikeMikeMike, September 06, 2018, 05:24:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MikeMikeMike

It's getting agonizingly close to turning that key for the first time in who knows how many decades. We are at the point where I am going out to my local auto shop to get fluids. Can you tell me what the recommendations are for :

Transmission fluid for a newly rebuilt brewers performance 833 4 speed
Coolant for a new stock set up (Glenn ray radiator26" on a 340)
Power steering pump rebuilt and again stock set up (Saginaw over filler neck type)

I already got specific breakin oil from the engine shop and filled the rear diff with the recommended oil and additive.

Thanks
Mike
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

jimynick

Well, looking around, it seems that Passon recommends 80W-90 gear oil in a 883 and I use Prestone concentrate antifreeze. It seems that many run ATF in the power steering and my Toyota Camry with nearly 300K calls for Dexron ATF. There's also Valvoline PYROIL spoken well of. Hope that helps!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

gzig5

I believe that power steering fluid is correct for these power steering pumps, not ATF.  At least thats what I found for mine.  I think it has to do with the seal type and ATF may not be compatible.  I just used the store brand for power steering and concentrated coolant. 

MikeMikeMike

Ok. Thanks guys. I'll be going out in the morning to pick everything up.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

anlauto

I would get
Gear oil
Antifreeze
Brake fluid
and maybe some power steering fluid, oh yea...and some gas !

:twothumbsup: :wave: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MikeMikeMike

I keep forgetting to put gas on the list!  :haha:
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

Chryco Psycho

I agree
80-90 gear oils for the trans , power steering fluid , concentrated antifreeze , or Evans coolant , If the brake system is new & dry use DOT 5 , it will not hurt paint but is not compatable with Dot 3 or 4.
Good to have Fuel  :bradsthumb:

Topcat

Didn't we talk earlier that Redline trans fluid was a good choice?
Synthetic.

dodj

Quote from: Topcat on September 07, 2018, 10:14:43 PM
Synthetic.
:iagree:
I personally use ATF4 in my 833 which is synthetic. Performs far better than with gear oil.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MikeMikeMike

Thanks guys. @Topcat ... I can't remember :-[

But then again, I also can't remember my own phone number, so often people have to repeat themselves before things sink in.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340

303 Mopar

:wrenching:
Quote from: dodj on September 08, 2018, 05:02:04 AM
Quote from: Topcat on September 07, 2018, 10:14:43 PM
Synthetic.
:iagree:
I personally use ATF4 in my 833 which is synthetic. Performs far better than with gear oil.

Redline has a tendency to leak more easily since its thinner.  I would recommend Sta-Lube 85W90 GL4, usually you can find it at Napa.

Chryco Psycho

synthetics can be too slippery for the syncros , you need a GL4 gear oil , GL5 is not recommended , I have never used only  ATF in an 833 , I did mix about 30% atf4 with gear oil for winter use tho