Main Menu

Glass and dash pad question

Started by leglhi, June 14, 2018, 10:52:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

leglhi

Ordering my parts tonight and came upon a dilemma.My Cuda was factory AC once upon a time,but all AC was long gone before i ever bought it.Probably back in the 80's when it as tubbed and shaved somebody also glassed over the firewall holes.I actually had them welded up when i was painting the car.So I'm guessing just go with a non AC, 1 speaker dash pad to replace the factory AC one.Also i have tinted side glass that needs to be replaced.Is it worth staying with tinted over clear glass?Same price it looks like,and my car is just going to be a nice driver.Not much is original so that's not a factor.Thanks.
If it ain't broke,fix it till it is

Cuda Cody

Since you're buying all new glass, right?  You can pretty much order whatever you like.  As for the dash, a lot of us enjoy listen to the engine more then music.  Most of the time I never turn my radio on so unless you're planning on more daily driving your car a single speaker dash is fine.  3 Speaker dash is a little better, but you have to find the dash covers which can be a little bit more money.

leglhi

Thanks Cuda Cody.Yes I'm replacing all the glass besides the rear at this point.I was planning on polishing the door glass,but ones pretty scratched up by the belt line and the driver side has a pretty decent chip on the top edge from the body shop.The front glass broke,leaving the rear the sole survivor.I believe the rear is also tinted,the doors definitely are.And I'm all about the music from the engine also lol, so may be radio delete at the end.Thanks for your opinion,and your videos are great man.Ive watched them a few times over now.

MEK-Dangerous

The only way to get some awesome sound is to slap some 6 X 9's in the rear deck, and add an aftermarket amp. The dash speakers can't handle high power.

BUT... Yeah, the sound of an awesome exhaust is hard to beat. I know that feeling.

70/6chall

All of the window glass in my Challenger is the stuff that came down the assy. line with it. Not tinted, since car was non-air, however I did get a mild proffessional tint job done which seems to be fine. As for having glass replaced, no, just the windshield (rock chips). I have a set of OEM tinted windows setting in the garage awaiting usage though. My drivers side window does have a couple of chips at top, when some yahoo tried to break into the car using a screw driver. Nothing to get upset over so I decided to keep the window in place as a rememberance of 30 years ago. For sounds I have the R35 factory roll-dial stereo still sounds OK. I replaced the rear 6x9's with a pair of vintage Pioneer tri-axial speakers. Kicks the quality up a little, so I'm OK with it.   Thanks,   Al

nsmall

Is factory tinted glass "greenish"?

I bought all new glass, non tinted, then had it tinted to my preference.

I recommend tinting the door glass and 1/4 glass AFTER its installed if you go this route.  Dont ask, but lets just say my windows were tinted twice.  Obviously tint it before the panels are installed.  Just my  :alan2cents:

leglhi

Yeah the windows are a greenish tint which honestly i didn't notice until cleaning them up this week.I thought they were in better shape,and i honestly think with the right tools the passenger side could have the scratches removed.The driver side top chip could even possibly be smoothed out but not sure.But its possible that the glass was always that rough and now after all the paint and body everything not perfect stands out,like the door handles ect.And i will take your advice on the install.Anybody ever tint over the factory tinted windows?

RUNCHARGER

The little speakers in the dash are more of a novelty than a help. I would go with a single speaker and if you want a fancy sound system, mount something in the kick panel area.
The factory tinted glass is almost a musthave for me. I think it looks great especially if you have a white interior. It does keep down sun glare a little bit as well.
Sheldon

nsmall

Like Cody said the side speakers covers can cost a small fortune so maybe research that first.

Yes, the glass could look better, then door handles, then mirrors, then you are broke but at least you look real sharp.

Dave at Roseville gave me a good deal on door handles, but that was like 2 years ago.

leglhi

Haha,yeah its a slippery slope on replacing everything.I was honestly going to keep as much factory original parts just because of the fitment issues of aftermarket.But then a lot of times restoring the piece doesn't work out always either lol.Im totally comfortable with buying through Dave after all the nice words ive heard about him so i emailed him a list of parts.I figured instead of the shotgun approach I'm going to go after it a section at a time to make sure i use the money where i need it most.Always tempting to buy heads or something else and then your dead in the water...again.