Main Menu

Good pin question

Started by Plumcrazy72, June 10, 2018, 06:47:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazy72

Going to put hood pins on my car, got the kit for xmas from my wife. When meeting 18 wheelers the hood looks like it could lift off. Before I drill into the hood I want to be 1,000,000,000% sure I'm in the right spot. If someone could please take some pictures and measurements for me that'd be great, as well as cable route. I'm pretty sure the studs pins go in the holes beside the hood stop rubbers towards the outside of the car. And I drill the k/o looking spot in the hood. But if someone can picture verify for me that would be great. Thanks in advanced

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Install the pin in that fender hole, put a little white grease on top of the pin and gently close the hood until it hits the pins....see where your grease is at :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Plumcrazy72

And for the lanyard location?

1972 340 PCP
2020 Ram Rebel

headejm

My 1970 Challenger RT has hood pins but not in the location you are pointing to. Here is a photo showing the hole for the pin and the screw hole for the lanyard in the foreground. Not sure what year Challenger you are asking about.

BIGSHCLUNK

I will be out in the garage a little later today. I can get you pics from NIKKI...  if you like?

Plumcrazy72

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on June 10, 2018, 08:58:15 AM
I will be out in the garage a little later today. I can get you pics from NIKKI...  if you like?
Yea that would be great, especially of lanyard routing. Thanks

1972 340 PCP
2020 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Quote from: Plumcrazy72 on June 10, 2018, 08:12:59 AM

Good advice to mark with white grease...just be sure you have the pins adjusted real low so that it barely touches the hood when closed...  otherwise the hole will be to far out...   

6bblgt

Quote from: chargerdon on June 10, 2018, 12:50:22 PM
Quote from: Plumcrazy72 on June 10, 2018, 08:12:59 AM

Good advice to mark with white grease...just be sure you have the pins adjusted real low so that it barely touches the hood when closed...  otherwise the hole will be to far out...

except when it's mounted at the usable height, it still need to clear the hood  :thinking:

chargerdon

You can make the pin hole generously large...because it gets covered up by the chrome on top anyways

RUNCHARGER

Where you mount the hood pin plates to the hood is kind of a big deal though. Sorry I don't have measurements right now.
Sheldon

Plumcrazy72

I got it done, took a few months off my life I think drilling into a hood. It turned out good, after a lot of research and picture viewing they are in the right spot judging by the contours of the hood. Didn't come across too many pictures of challengers with the fender signals and hood pins. My car is originally a 318 car with no bulge hood but now has a 340 with the bulge hood. I like it and most important it should cure my fear of the hood folding up.  Took the picture before I knew where the lanyards went but that's done now too. Thanks for the tips and help

1972 340 PCP
2020 Ram Rebel

Plumcrazy72

Also fyi the leaking under the car was from a NSS that decided to fail. Got that replaced last night too

1972 340 PCP
2020 Ram Rebel

6bblgt

not that it matters, but originally .....

1970-'71 you couldn't get fender turn signals on a Challenger with a bulge (two-scoop), SHAKER or T/A hood & hood pins were ONLY available on R/T, T/A & 340 cars

1972-'74 hood pins were no longer an OPTION, but you could get fender turn signals with the bulge (two-scoop) hood on a Rallye or 340/360 Challenger

Plumcrazy72

Learned something new today. Thank you
Quote from: 6bblgt on June 12, 2018, 01:41:42 PM

1970-'71 you couldn't get fender turn signals on a Challenger with a bulge (two-scoop), SHAKER or T/A hood & hood pins were ONLY available on R/T, T/A & 340 cars

1972-'74 hood pins were no longer an OPTION, but you could get fender turn signals with the bulge (two-scoop) hood on a Rallye or 340/360 Challenger

1972 340 PCP
2020 Ram Rebel

Spikedog08

Quote from: Plumcrazy72 on June 12, 2018, 02:11:44 PM
Learned something new today. Thank you
Quote from: 6bblgt on June 12, 2018, 01:41:42 PM

I learned something new as well!  Interesting!   :D
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!