Main Menu

Header/Manifold Help for 74 Challenger 5.7L Hemi Swap

Started by Mavrick_7, April 10, 2018, 10:08:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mavrick_7

Hi All,

New to the forum and have enjoyed reading many of your posts! I'm currently in the process of performing a 5.7 hemi engine swap on my 74 Challenger. I bought a 2012 Challenger 5.7L hemi & 5-speed Auto combo that I'm putting in the 74. I've run into the problem of finding headers/manifolds for this swap as my starter is on the passenger side. TTI only makes headers that fit with the starter on the driver side and I haven't found any other companies that make headers specific to this swap. I'm keeping the factory K-frame so the stock manifolds on the 5.7 don't fit. I was wondering if anyone has performed this setup on their swap and what manifolds/headers they used. I've heard Jeep manifolds will work, but don't want to spend the money if they're not going to fit. The only option I see is to either get custom headers made, or try and switch the starter to the driver side and buy TTI headers (which will likely be a headache and just as much money as custom headers). I will be buying the bolt-on motor mounts from TTI unless someone on this forum knows of better motor mounts to use (TTI seems to be the best price and virtually identical mounts to everyone else). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GoodysGotaCuda

I do believe TTI makes pass side starter swap headers. Have you called them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

303 Mopar

The 5.7 and Jeep manifolds will not fit on an e-body. The only headers that I know of that fit are TTI. We unwrapped the harness just a little to move the required wiring to the drivers side, not really that difficult.

I included these steps in my post on a 392 swap - https://forum.e-bodies.org/modern-hemi-swaps/26/392-hemi-swap-2016/67/msg432#msg432

Mavrick_7

Yes, I talked to them yesterday. TTI only makes headers for the starter on the left side, no TTI headers fit with the starter in the right.

Mavrick_7

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 10, 2018, 10:36:19 AM
The 5.7 and Jeep manifolds will not fit on an e-body. The only headers that I know of that fit are TTI. We unwrapped the harness just a little to move the required wiring to the drivers side, not really that difficult.

I included these steps in my post on a 392 swap - https://forum.e-bodies.org/modern-hemi-swaps/26/392-hemi-swap-2016/67/msg432#msg432

Your starter was already positioned on the left side, correct? Mine is on the right side so I'd have to swap it to the left for the TTI headers to work.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Mavrick_7 on April 10, 2018, 10:49:30 AM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 10, 2018, 10:36:19 AM

Your starter was already positioned on the left side, correct? Mine is on the right side so I'd have to swap it to the left for the TTI headers to work.

Mine was a crate engine, no starter, but the harness is built for the starter on the passenger side. I would suggest buying the TTI headers and starter they recommend, and unwrapping the harness to move the wiring to the drivers side. The bulk head, battery and starter solenoid are all on the drivers side too, so less headache in the end. 

Chryco Psycho

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Mavrick_7 on April 10, 2018, 10:46:13 AM
Yes, I talked to them yesterday. TTI only makes headers for the starter on the left side, no TTI headers fit with the starter in the right.

That being said, they do make a passenger side starter E-body header, but you must run coilovers.

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/61RSA-134/TTi61RSA.htm
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JpRngr

It's really not that bad changing to a driver's side starter. I did it on my NAG1. I found a core transmission on CL for $100 and pulled the bellhousing. I found a couple UTube videos that showed the ins and outs of it and it didn't take a whole lot from there.

Corey