Main Menu

headlight upgrade

Started by jordan, April 28, 2018, 10:39:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

I see I have a burned out stock headlight.  Easy to replace and cheap.  I did a search here and only see that I should put a relay wiring kit in place of stock.  My question is what headlight system do I get?  Stock, H4, HID, LED?  I don't really know the difference.   I want good white light, not blue light.  I have a 71 Cuda and was wondering if there is fitment issues?  Do the new replacement housing and bulbs have a similar profile to fit into the buckets?  I see sets on eBay for $12 -$300.  Does anyone have experience with a kit that fits, has good light, and doesn't change the appearance of the car too much?  I suppose I could just get a replacement bulb and a wiring kit?

Thanks
"Don't brake until you see God!"

ledphoot

I have been looking at LED headlights with adapters etc. The light they throw is much improved to the stock headlight, but IMHO the lamps themselves look cheap, the covers are plastic and to me just don't look right in our cars.I have been thinking about these, but they're stupid expensive and I haven't found any reviews...

https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc4000-ultimate-kit/

dodj

If you are considering HID - From what I hear the cheap HID kits do not last. The ballasts don't survive like OEM HID components. Last I looked (2 years ago) OEM type HID kits were in the $450-$650 range, which was too much for me.
When I change mine it will be to LED, but I'm fine with the halogen for now.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

Lense optics are very important when looking at HID/Xenon or LED bulbs, not only for you, but the other drivers on the road. Unless you go with a dedicated LED light [TruckLite, GE, JW Speaker, etc.] the lights will not put out what most consider, a safe light pattern. Same applies for LED.

The short version, I do not recommend getting a generic/China high housing and installing LED or HID bulbs in them.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

I used to like halogens but don't even know if they are available anymore. I like the stock appearance and better illumination. I've run out of old Cibie setups.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I run LED , they are awesome , you need a good reflector such as a Cibie or Lucas, these take a H4 bulb typically the advantage to Led is there is not a single light source , so by having a led emitter on the top the light will only reflect downward with a sharp cutoff line , I run them with 160 watt rating , roughly 3x the power of stock headlights
this would work for you nut they have low power bulbs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-5-3-4-ROUND-H5006-5001-H4-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHT-H4-LED-WHITE-BULBS-HLR5LF/263553754482?hash=item3d5d072572:g:pL0AAOSw4qxarBUf
these are the reflector only  - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-5-3-4-ROUND-H4-9003-BULB-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHT-REPLACE-H5001-H5006-HR05/263497214539?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50543%26meid%3D03f4439c79094c97a28cadeea8645dff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D263553754482%26itm%3D263497214539&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
these are hi lo high power led lights - https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Headlight-Bulbs-H4-HB2-6000K-1150W-172500LM-High-Low-beam-conversition-Kit/302664309900?hash=item467832dc8c

Topcat

I still have my originals.

I hear they're getting hard to find. 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 29, 2018, 01:42:04 PM
I run LED , they are awesome , you need a good reflector such as a Cibie or Lucas, these take a H4 bulb typically the advantage to Led is there is not a single light source , so by having a led emitter on the top the light will only reflect downward with a sharp cutoff line , I run them with 160 watt rating , roughly 3x the power of stock headlights
this would work for you nut they have low power bulbs - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PAIR-5-3-4-ROUND-H5006-5001-H4-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHT-H4-LED-WHITE-BULBS-HLR5LF/263553754482?hash=item3d5d072572:g:pL0AAOSw4qxarBUf
these are the reflector only  -
these are hi lo high power led lights -

You've sparked my interest. I do have IPF H4 7" headlights already. You aren't having any glare issues using a generic H4 housing?

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-920H-Round-Headlamp-Insert/dp/B004LQGE18/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525039027&sr=1-1&keywords=ipf+round+7%22
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Well first I am not using glass headlights or H4 bulbs But if the bulb is positioned correctly in the housing the LED emitter is on the top on low beam & can only reflect off of the upper 1/2 of the reflector so it Only reflects downward , then for high beam they add the second emitter on the bottom reflecting upward .
The advantage to LED is it is not a single element creating the light unlike Halogen or HID ect , single source light bulbs use shields to prevent the light hitting the lower 1/2 of the reflector creating the upward pointed lighting .
I am using H13 bulbs in molded stock light housings but it has the same effect & creates a sharp cut off line on low beam which can be adjusted to proper height while providing much better lighting , we have no light regulations here in Panama & often there are people walking on the highway shoulders or motorcycles with no taillights running on the highway well below the speed limit as a 125 cc cannot do the speed limit so I need to be able to see them , so as I said I am running headlights roughly 3 x as bright as stock lights without blinding oncoming traffic . the added bonus is they use less power as well .

jordan

Hey Neil,  Thanks for the links!!  Do you know if they will fit in my buckets?  I have heard they can be too deep or that I may need to modify my buckets.  Any experience or do you know if they have a low profile?

Thanks much.  I am leaning this way now and the price isnt horrible!!

Jordan

shawge

Those LED bulbs sure look interesting.  Would like to see side by side comparisons, especially that 160W bulb  8)

I've got a quad 5-3/4" setup (Challenger), here's my recipe:
- relays for low/high
- Hella BiFocal H1s for lows
- Cibie convex-face parabolic H1s for highs
- Narva-Flosser Rangepower+50 H1 bulbs

My lamp buckets had the smaller openings. I had to ever so slightly grind on two buckets so the rear connector would fit through,.

For the 7", I like the Cibie H4s. The bulb should be the same/close physical shape as the OEM except for the connector.  Not sure if you'd have to grind for that.  How big is the bucket hole?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

moparcar

Here's a higher end version that some of the high end custom builders have been using. Definitely not stock but? Can also get them with the halo and signals. If you go to their Instagram feed they have a lot of real car examples in their feed including E-bodies.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/collections/projector-headlights

Chryco Psycho

I have not done this specific conversion yet , the 5 3/4 " headlight "should' fit in the bucket without any major mods .
lots of light options in H4 format possibly other hi lo configurations also

jordan

I finally did some looking at lights this week.  I have decided to take Neil's advice because they are a higher output LED light at a low price with stock appearing lenses.  I wonder if my new stock MH front light harness will be good with the LEDs, or do I need to rewire it with relays to save the switch and plugs?  If these are truly replace and plug in, this shouldn't be a big project at all for about $100.

Chryco Psycho

Always better to use relays But the LEDs draw less current as well