Main Menu

HELP! Mulch artillery fungus

Started by dave73, March 08, 2019, 09:28:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Anyone ever hear of artillery fungus in mulch and know how to get it off a car?? Apparently, it is the result of excess moisture causing the mulch to rot and then it projects these little black dots. My new Ram was parked next to an area that went nuts and I can't seem to get it off. I've tried bug/tar remover, hot water, drive thru car washes, not such luck. The only way I've been able to get it off is by scraping each little dot with my fingernail. There has to be about 1,000 of these little black dots all over. Looking for some ideas to get my truck clean, very frustrating on a brand new truck!

BIGSHCLUNK

No cue as to the answer, but I've had those little black dot's o NIKKI. Yep, finger nail worked best....

Burdar

CudamanTom

You might give this a try.

Pour mouthwash into a handheld spray bottle.

Spray the artillery fungus with the mouthwash until it is dripping wet.

Soak a few paper towels in mouthwash and use them to scrub away the little black dots, or "peridioles." It will take some elbow grease, but eventually the bulk of the masses will come off onto the paper towel.

Scrub away the stains left behind by the removed peridioles with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. If you cannot get hold of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a Brillo pad will work. But, it takes a lot more scrubbing to remove the spots. You can substitute toothpaste for the eraser.

The most effective mouthwash was Cinnamon Ice Scope Mouthwash, which removed the coats of the fungus peridioles "with little effort," while Crest MultiCare Whitening Fresh Mint Toothpaste was used to remove the stains.
71 Cuda Vert (clone) - 440/4 Black/Black
71 Cuda Hardtop - 440/4 Sassy Grass green/Black
70 Cuda Vert - 340/6 Rally Red/White (Previously Owned)

B5fourspeed

Just googled it.Someone used clorox wipes and it came right off.

dave73

Quote from: B5fourspeed on March 08, 2019, 10:38:49 AM
Just googled it.Someone used clorox wipes and it came right off.

Just tried them, no luck. Had to scrub just as hard as just using plain soap and water.

Burdar

The first time I used a clay bar I was shocked at how good it worked.  I would seriously give it a try.  I did some parts painting in the garage with the Challenger uncovered and got a fine layer of overspray on the car.  The clay bar took it right off.  Keep it wet with spray detailer. If you drop it, throw it away.

71-440

:iagree:

Yea I would try a clay bar too.
Joe

dave73

Update: so the clay bar takes off the top "nub" but then there is a same size maroonish stain underneath. The only way I've gotten this to come off is with my fingernail. I've tried everything in this thread and more, I'm at a loss. My new white truck is a disaster. I should've bought a black one!

Anymore ideas?

Spikedog08

Use a clay bar first and then some compound and a wheel should do the trick . . .  :bigthumb:

:bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

JS29

Quote from: Spikedog08 on April 04, 2019, 06:59:13 AM
Use a clay bar first and then some compound and a wheel should do the trick . . .  :bigthumb:

:bigthumb:
:iagree: Maybe alight wet sand with some 2000 grit of finer.  :alan2cents:

aussiemark