Main Menu

Hemi Challenger R/T SE Alpine White / Red trim - England late 1972

Started by 3.0CSL, April 25, 2019, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

3.0CSL

My Late Dad shipped this Hemi over to England from Pittsburg in late 1972. A friend of his, Joe, had bought it new, he then sold it to another mutual friend.
I  shall never Ever forget my first sight of it, parked outside the house in Chingford, East London. My Mum still says that the neighbours thought that an airplane had landed in our street !

Shortly after, as I came out of school, can you imagine my shock and delight to see it parked in the school gate !

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

3.0CSL

It took me 36 looong years to track Dads old car down. But with the help of a good pal, we found it.

Brads70

3.0CSL

I had suspected that the car may have gone to Sweden, as in the late 70s, I had read an article in Custom Car magazine, re aanother Hemi Challenger that was being drag raced out there and how much the Swedes like American cars.

In England in 73, muscle cars were Bad news. A fuel crisis was looming and Insurance was expensive. We think that my Dad sold it to an American car dealers in Wembley, London, called Simpsons, for circa £2,000. It appears that the current owner bought it in 1974, I assume from England. It's possible that the car was repainted ( for some strange reason soon after my Dad had sold it, as there is a photo of what looks to be it in Sweden in the 70s. )

I had really hoped to fly out to Sweden to see it.....However, the owner is not interested in speaking to me about the history of his car....

3.0CSL

I am sure that the car didn't have a black hood when my Dad owned it. Whether the current owner is aware of this or it was an option, I don't know.

3.0CSL

The present owner could most likely confirm whether this is the same car.

I remember my uncle telling me that one day he and my Dad were coming back around Londons Nth Curcular road and that they were being tailed by a Honda 750/4. As they stopped at some lights, my Dad said " Il show this s.o.b". At the next set of lights the shocked Honda rider shouted out " I've never been beaten by a car before".

750-h2

Chryco Psycho

My Car spent more of its life white & white  like that except the burnt orange  interior , than it has purple !!
Congrats on finding it !!

6bblgt

from @RzeroB 's HEMI E-body thread on cuda-challenger

QuoteThis one is listed as being JS29R0B291202 1 of only 59 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 37 with an automatic. It is finished in EW1 White with V5X black longitudinal mouldings, V21 Performance Hood Blackout, and a V1W white vinyl top. This one is listed as having one of the longest tenures in Sweden with it being "imported" there in 1974.

& the interior would be "Burnt Orange" or "Tan" - NO available "red" interior in a '70 SE Challenger

Chryco Psycho

Agreed , I took a second look at the pix & it looks more like Burnt Orange  :twothumbsup:

3.0CSL

Morning all, it's strange, but I really don't recall the car having a black hood when my Late Dad owned it. But late 1972 / early 73, is a very long time ago. I personally do Not like the black hood on these, they look Far better in just body colour.

My Dad died suddenly aged just 41, in September 1975, but im sure he would be laughing now, knowing that It has survived and that i managed to find it !

And very Sadly, both of the cars first owners ( Joe Bojalad ) and the second Bernie Braverman are no longer with us, but when I last visited the States in July 91 and went up to see Bernie, I told him that I was searching for the car and he told me that he would love to have the Challenger back.

Chryco Psycho

The first picture shows the top of the hood without the black hood stripe .
Too bad the current owner has no interest in sharing the car with you even just to visit it again .
Sad that your dad died so young too  :andyangel:

nsmall

:iagree:. No reason to be so uptight.  Sounds like the guy is a grump.