Main Menu

How long did it take you to build you car

Started by Shoooter, June 04, 2018, 11:13:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I'm curious to see how long it take people to build there car, not you Alan we all know your the fastest out there. I wondering  how long the average Joe takes to build his? I am super slow for a bunch or reasons, family, and money being the two major ones. I'm embarrassed to say how long I have been building it but one move, two little boys have alot to it. I know there will be some answers like I'm never done building it but what is the average time from purchase to hitting the road......im 5yrs  :Thud:

Chryco Psycho

Depends how you look at it
I bought my car in 80 I slowly collected parts for 29 years , once I took the car apart it was 12 months to get it done

cudamadd

Build three cars first one took 4 years last one took 2 years  lots and lots of  ins and outs and different possibilities and levels of restorations .  But I do know if you are lucky enough to do most of the work your self ,it's so rewarding . If  not that's ok as long as you have a go . :wrenching:

Dakota

I'm on year 5 and counting.  Hope to be on the road by year 6.

AAR#2

12 years and counting, year 13 should be it
Work on it almost every Saturday, some Sundays, research all week after work, do almost all work myself.
Happy to post and help everyone feel better about your speed completing

Aar1064

Quote from: AAR#2 on June 05, 2018, 03:23:31 AM
Work on it almost every Saturday, some Sundays, research all week after work, do almost all work myself.

.....and still after 12 years you're up at 3am posting and researching. That's commitment and it'll pay off because you'll produce one of the finest restorations ever. I've seen the stuff you do and it's super cool and creative.

It took me 5 years to finish mine and I had a great car to start with. I can't imagine having to replace major sheet metal myself and hats off to those that do. I've looked back at some of the pics of my build and wonder sometimes what was the fuel that kept it going. Every weekend, 3 to 4 nights a week after work not to mention the daily thoughts of how am I going to do this or that. Looking back, it flew by and now I'm just soaking it all in.

GoodysGotaCuda

3 years from the time I took it off of the road and put it back on.

Started/finished an MBA In that time and became a Dad as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ZEN357

AAR#2

Quote from: Aar1064 on June 05, 2018, 03:55:20 AM
Quote from: AAR#2 on June 05, 2018, 03:23:31 AM

.....and still after 12 years you're up at 3am posting and researching. That's commitment and it'll pay off because you'll produce one of the finest restorations ever. I've seen the stuff you do and it's super cool and creative.

Thanks man, I really appreciate your friendship and camaraderie. What a help it's been getting connected with someone doing a similar car restoration at the same time, I'm convinced my car has benifited from the friendship.

I suppose I should have mentioned a contributor to the 12+ years is the unexplained pride I take in doing things most will never see.

My hat is off to ALL who take on a restoration and finish it, no matter the time

Flatdad

Wait...project cars get finished?!?!?

10 years with the Plymouth since last month-not done
2 years with the Challenger-not done
+and antique Harley project that isn't done

340challconvert

Bought my Challenger A66 convertible in 1979 and used it for transportation until 1984; the last year it was actually on the road.  Stored the car in various places and through several residential moves.

Finally took the car out of storage after retirement in the fall of 2015 and starting working on making it a driver. 2 1/2 years and progressing slowly-doing the work myself.
Picture is the car finally out of storage.
2nd pic is the car at the Hemi-Owners Association Meet I attended in 1981 when both the car and I were much younger!

:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

b5cuda

My '69 cuda sat in the exploded view in my garage for five years, was a driver in primer for two more, then painted and complete (though never really "finished").   The '68 Dart had a better starting point, didn't need body work, took 1.5 years.   Did that one with one of my kids.  The '73 is another big project, got it last fall, still collecting parts and removing rust.  I would say you have to be naive enough to start one of these projects, then too stubborn to quit.
Bill

Shoooter

ok so I'm on the right track then haha. I do almost everything myself  and if I can't I have great friends that help me out. hopefully have it on the road soon

Mickm

I started with a nice amateur restoration and tore it down to just the body.  It took me two years, to the month, to get it back together in Pro Touring style doing all the work myself.

Cheers!
Mickm

Timbbuc2

I was luckier than most, paint and body work was done, worked many hours in the beginning bought a bunch of parts. I have done every aspect of the build myself. Due to work obligations I don't get much time to work on it. BUT I am going on year 3, if you add the  actual time worked on the car its only 1 year. It has been sometimes aggravating but it has been fun as well. People say "This is the last build" but I would love to do another from the very beginning. :wrenching:
Get in, I'll drive