Main Menu

I went out to the garage to start the challenger... Need advice

Started by wldgtx, April 12, 2019, 06:34:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

wldgtx

I went to the garage and started the challenger, I was able to get it started just fine, but I noticed that the steering wheel would not turn so I turned the engine off and popped the hood and looked at the power steering pump..  SOB the pump was bone dry and underneath the car was a large spot where it appears the power steering fluid had leaked out or something broke.

Given the car spent the winter in my garage and NOT my heated barn I am wondering if something broke as a result of the brutally cold winter we had in MI.

Obviously I will have to investigate further, but given the information supplied, does anyone have a guess or a suggestion as a place to start?  Has this happened to anyone else?
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

303 Mopar

Start with the basics and make sure your fittings are tight on the pump and steering gear box. If they are, then its likely a seal/o-ring which happens with the heat/cold.

GoodysGotaCuda

The cold wouldn't inherently break something, though it could have induced a leak due to different thermal expansion rates between parts.

I'd fill it up, bleed it and run it. See what you have to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

wldgtx

Solid... thanks.  I am going to start with getting some fluid and filling to make it easier to find the failure.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

7212Mopar

My rebuilt Signaw pump is leaking slowly too. I suspect it is from the supply valve at the back. I will be pulling the valve out tomorrow to add some sealant.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket